Questions

latebrkr

First of all Hello I am a GN Newbie. I just bought my first GN yesterday it is a 84 T-top car all origional with 71k on it. It has been in storage for 20 years plus and the motor is seized up from not being turned over. I was sent home with enough spare parts to build atleast 2 xtra motors. After I got home and was unloading I noticed that 1 set of the heads were fully ported with oversized stainless valves and heavy duty springs also there was a race ported intake and a set of "green stripe injectors". I am wanting to build a stroker motor and use all of this stuff and would like to send one of the three turbos off to get a upgrade what kind of power would a motor like this make with a alky kit? Also I need to know if the headers in the pick are for a 84-85 or 86-87 they came with all the cross over pipes and what not and it all is 2.5" stuff. Also what size injectors are the green stripe ones? Thanks for all of the help in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_5270.jpg
    IMG_5270.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 193
the headers in the pick are NOT for a turbo car. looks like there for a N/A V6

Well I thought they looked wierd but after I matched up all the y pipes and cross over suff I just thought it might be for a 86-87. I have a xtra whole set of stock stuff and the Y pipes are the same just bigger so I am confused?

welcome .... what u should do is put up pics of the stuff u have laying around that way the guys here will tell u whats wat and wat is usable depending on what ur trying to accomplish with ur 84 we can point u in the right direction if we know wat ur goals are and what u have now u will get good direction here for sure

the headers in the pick are NOT for a turbo car. looks like there for a N/A V6

Sorry but you're wrong this time. these are early KB headers and were copied by Hooker. They suck to say the least and I don't see the cross over and up pipe in the pic.

Sorry but you're wrong this time. these are early KB headers and were copied by Hooker. They suck to say the least and I don't see the cross over and up pipe in the pic.

i'm cool with being wrong. not the first time or last time. just cant remember all this buick stuff sometimes. You Sir are correct. old KB headers. just missing the 2 other pipes. ;)

i'm cool with being wrong. not the first time or last time. just cant remember all this buick stuff sometimes. You Sir are correct. old KB headers. just missing the 2 other pipes. ;)

They join under the starter and have a very funky up pipe to say the least.:eek: Extremely lagy to say the least.:mad:

It has a pipe that goes under the engine that joins up and then goes foward. Then the up pipe connects to another pipe that joins the two together. Very long and complicaed and reduces the spool quite a bit.

That does seem very complicated and still can't picture this set up in my head so the up pipe off the turbo attaches to another pipe that goes where? To the crossover pipe? Is there pics of this setup anywhere in the forum ?

here you go. from what i could find

Attachments

• Headers%20001.jpg
    Headers%20001.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Headers%20002.jpg
    Headers%20002.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Headers%20004.jpg
    Headers%20004.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Headers%20005.jpg
    Headers%20005.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Headers%20007.jpg
    Headers%20007.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 171
Wow now I see what ur talking about too much going on there thanx for the pictures, that's the first time I see those, looks like an external wastegate setup

I will post the pics tonight.Well it sounds like they are worse than stock headers, what would be my best choice for headers then? As far as goals I would like to have a mid to low 11 sec car. How much power will a stock block hold? I will post pics of the heads,intake and injectors also. I have a 8 sec mustang so I dont need a race car just a bad a$$ street car. This has always been my dream car since they rolled off the line and my uncle let me drive his GNX back in 87.

Headers

They only suck if you do not flow enough exhaust to get the turbo going. On a mild street build and small displacement motor they probably will be laggy. But on a large displacement engine that has sufficeint exhaust flow these make lots of power on the top end. A good cam grind to complement exhaust scavenging should help with spool up.

Ok cool. I don't mind building a strong motor from the bottom up beacuse I like reliable. I have 12k in my mustang motor all pump gas N/A so I know it takes $$$. I just need some help with this baby with needing to know what I need to buy. Everyone told me to convert to 86-87 but I want to keep it as stock looking as possiable and origional as I can. I like when people tell me things cant be done.lol They told me I couldnt run low 10's on pump gas and drive it on the street but we ran a 10.24 at 128 to prove them wrong. But the Mustang is pushed off to the side and this is my priorty now and will be till it is done. So all the help I get from you guys is greatly appreciated.

I must be missing something as usual here. Where does the uppipe bolt on the passenger side header? Brad

Ok cool. I don't mind building a strong motor from the bottom up beacuse I like reliable. I have 12k in my mustang motor all pump gas N/A so I know it takes $$$.

Man your right up there with Boost231....lol. Must be nice to have cash at your disposal in these tuff times.

Everyone told me to convert to 86-87 but I want to keep it as stock looking as possiable and origional as I can. I like when people tell me things cant be done.lol They told me I couldnt run low 10's on pump gas and drive it on the street but we ran a 10.24 at 128 to prove them wrong. So all the help I get from you guys is greatly appreciated.

Man you're my new best friend!!!! So since you've got pockets deeper than the Hoover dam then I don't see any problem reaching whatever goal you set for yourself. One thing though, as many have already learned the hard way....The Hot air Turbo regal is a different animal. All the parts in the world will only get you so far as tuning these beasts require a much finer touch and is less forgiving than our intercooled brothers.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way. You already have most of the hardest parts to come by, aftermarket headers. You also have ported heads and a ported intake those 2 parts will support your goals into the 10's. But to complement those parts you will need a minimum of 60lb injectors a good cam and a custom built turbo (do a search on this plenty of info in this section). Along with the motor build you will need to beef up your trans and get a custom converter to match whatever turbo you decide to go with. That's the mechanical part there is also the engine controller issue and monitoring that you can address later.

Pete

Welcome and good luck with your build. It takes a special kind of person to make a Hotair fast and go up against the intercooled guys. Keep us posted and as Pete pointed out, there’s more than just the engine you need to worry about in your build.

You can keep up with my Stroker build in the thread “Time to go big”, which also could be labeled “Time to go broke” or “Time to go insane”.