Questions regarding Typhoons

lieu910

Have a proposed trade for my 27,000 mile GN for a 24,000 mile Typhoon.

Both mint with light mods.

Where is Typhoon value these days? Are these two cars close in value?

What issues do I need to be concerned about with Typhoons?

Typhoons

They are great vehicles. I own a Sy and love it, but it's a very expensive toy. They don't take the abuse a 3.8 will and the stock transmissions are really weak. Some parts are outrageously high, but most are moderately priced. The aftermarket is almost nonexsistant when it comes to Sy/Ty's.

I'm sure there are more qualified people on here to elaborate. There is nothing like an awd BOOSTED launch! :eek:

hrodgmc said:
They are great vehicles. I own a Sy and love it, but it's a very expensive toy. They don't take the abuse a 3.8 will and the stock transmissions are really weak. Some parts are outrageously high, but most are moderately priced. The aftermarket is almost nonexsistant when it comes to Sy/Ty's.

I'm sure there are more qualified people on here to elaborate. There is nothing like an awd BOOSTED launch! :eek:

What he said.

Don't expect it to be a GN-truck and you'll be okay. I was very disappointed with mine ('92 Phoon) but I had set my expectations GN-high. It's a whooollllle 'nother ball-o-wax. Mine never idled to my satisfaction and it was a nightmare to work on.

I do miss the AWD launches tho....

Jim

I think for a 27k mile Ty in very very good shape you're looking around $17-20k or so. Maybe a little lower depending on the saler. The SyTy market is low right now. Its not like the GN's. We'ver been talking about that on the board alot lately.( http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28847 )

Just make sure the tranny shifts hard, and firm. Make sure the engine isnt knocking. Or has thrown any codes. Check the front prop shaft, cv joints and such. If you do some searching on syty.net you'll find some buyers guides ;)

re:

Things to check
Trans... no late hard shifts & doesnt slip with boost
at what psi it wants to ping (17-19psi) no sooner
propsafts are weak , Been replaced?
check color of X-Fer case fluid (takes typeIII dextron) no sludge
check bump stops for cracks and frame for marks (this is a sign of launching)

Price ?????nable 16-20k range......just depends
I have a 22k mile one no mods up for sale for $19,000

Spoolingturbo6@yahoo.com
Tyson

Spoolingturbo6 said:
at what psi it wants to ping (17-19psi) no sooner

Unless it's modified, the ECM will shut it down by cutting fuel at anything above 1 bar (14.7 PSI). You'll never see even 15 PSI if it's stock. If it's not stock stay away.

Jim

typhoons

I know all about the dynamics of the tys... been there and still doing it.. one of the most common problems is the pump for your intercooler goes out and your wont know it until it is to late.. pump circulates water through the intercooler, which keeps it cool for boost, the pump goes out and you hit boost and # 3 piston is shot because of detonation, the part cost about 50$ but if it is not working properly it can cost you a rebuild.. I dont know everything about tys but i have learned a whole hell of a lot about them. I have spent about 20 grand on my motor and it will never go as quick as a gn with half the money spent on it....... If you ever have any questions regarding tys i think i can be of some help to you ... feel free to call me if you have any questions... my name is joe... # 205-613-2694 :)