Questions on Odd Fire Motor

Phatman

Senior Irish Member
I have a compete odd fire motor that I'm unsure as to what to do with. I'm not completely sure of of all the internals as yet, but it was built by Smokey Yunick as a naturally aspirated motor.

What I have seen so far is that, it is a prestage block with solid webbing, girdled, billet crank, carrillo rods, forged pistons, LARGE cam with dated heads.

I have been considering trying to adapt it with a few changes. I recall seeing someone in here running an odd fire and was trying to get some input...TIA

:cool:

Odd fire??

Most likely the post you saw were from Bob Mustic, here in Altlanta. He has an odd fire N/A engine in his Cobra kit car.
Had problems w/ the ign due to the distributor layout. He called Dutt, and Dutt said they had tried to inject one, and it was never really a success. [Bob's is carbed, roller cam, about 11:1 comp.]
Made near 500 on the engine dyno, runs well w/ a 5 speed behind it.
You can reach Bob at rmustic@aol.com, I think.

HTH, :cool:

Humberto Rodriguez (friend of Jim Haas) Had an odd fire engine in his car, ran low 8's about 10 years ago. They are much stronger due to the crank design and you can get a longer stroke in them too.

Thanks for the replys...

turbodave231
Sorry, no pic's, I'm simi-computer literate and have vary little patience, last time I tried I was told 45 minutes to down load, right....

Chuck
Thanks, that's not the direction I had in mind, but he may very well be able to answer my questions.

Bill
I'll try to contact Jim, I wanted to quiz him on a truck anyway, thanks.

Jay
I just have access to the parts and was thinking of a new project using it as a base for a turbo car. We had thought's of selling all of the Buick parts we aquired, but nobody seemed interested, sooooo. I had talked with Jay Carter awhile back, and his thought's were "run it"...

We just seem to have a lot of stuff sitting around collecting dust.
My friend is gettin bitchy about space, although 90% of it is his I thought I'd better do something before I pull up and see it setting next to the curb like a cheating husbands laundry....;)

Mike,

Just got back into town and read your post. I have an Odd-Fire motor in my Kit Cobra, as Chuck L. stated its not injected.

What questions do you have? I may know or know who else to ask.

Bob

Bob...

I see your going to be out of town, I'll check in with you when you get back. Maybe I'll get a chance to take a little better look at what I'm dealing with if time allows...

FWIW: I just finished tuning a twin turbo odd fire motor with an XFI. We were even able to use a crank trigger on it :eek:

HighPSI said:
FWIW: I just finished tuning a twin turbo odd fire motor with an XFI. We were even able to use a crank trigger on it :eek:

Oh Cal, you love to make me ask you for more information... ;)

Special Code in the XFI and an even fire crank trigger. No one would be able to tell it was an odd fire