Questions for the people running solid MAF pipes.

Gokou

I have a question for you guys running solid MAF pipes. I’m thinking about getting one for my car so I can remove the stock plastic elbow and silicone accordion tube, but I have a concern about vibration. With a solid MAF pipe, what takes up engine vibration and movement and prevents the MAF and filter from being bounced around and beat up? Right now, engine vibration and movement is isolated in the silicone accordion pipe, and none of it gets to the MAF and filter. I’m worried that with a solid pipe engine torque movement and vibration will cause my MAF and filter to vibrate and rub on the washer fluid tank and vapor canister. Can you cut the MAF pipe a few inches back and splice in a section of the factory silicone accordion hose to take up the movement? Or is there another way?

I’d appreciate any pictures of engine compartments with solid MAF pipes, especially close-ups of the MAF/airfilter area so I can see how things fit.

Also, is there any better way to hold down the MAF and filter? Right now my MAF/filter is resting on the upper radiator hose, washer fluid tank, and the vapor canister. It’s not held down in any way, it’s just sitting there. There’s a 9” K&N cone on the end BTW. I know there has to be a better way to do this, so I’d like to hear what you guys are doing and get pictures if possible.

Also, what brand solid MAF pipes are you running? I hear action fabrication made the best, but they’re now out of business. ATR still makes them… how are they? Is there a better brand? Or should I just stick with the stock setup and check it for leaks every now and then?

Also, I’ve seen some pics of cars with heavy duty blue intercooler hoses. Where can I get these? The blue would match my plug wires.

Thanks!

I have one on my car. It is "isolated" with rubber plumbing clamps that you can get from any local home improvement store. They are used to join PVC to PVC ot PVC to cast pipes. They will have a metal band that gives them a nice look in our application or you can remove the metal and just use the inner rubber sleeve for that blacked out look. Mine is rather snug but is not a solid assembly. I will attach a pic if I can. The GN guys do about the same thing but I thing they have a LOT more room in the fender. If the pic makes it look at how I have my filter tucked down in the fender. It is a 45 degree plumbers street elbow from the local home improvement store cut down to fit. The last owner had it straight out where it was sucking in hood insulation.

As for the maker of the pipe, no idea. It was on the car. I think the one for the GN will work, mine just has a more stylish flair as it makes a lazy "s".

image4.jpg

Brent

TTA583, Is that a solid maf pipe for a Turbo Regal you have mounted? It looks to be one from the pic, just wondering. Wondered if a TR one would work without major mods or fab work.

Originally posted by tta583

As for the maker of the pipe, no idea. It was on the car. I think the one for the GN will work, mine just has a more stylish flair as it makes a lazy "s".

Every GN one I have seen, rather noticed, has a slight dog leg just out of the turbo then runs straight over to the fender.

Brent