Questions about Texas and the panhandle??

buickman69

Retired Buick Enthusiast
I'm currently considering a business for sale in the Texas panhandle. I can't disclose what or where do to legal confidentiality at this time.

Was hoping some of you could share some light on what the economy looks like in this area.
1) Is there a lot of job layoffs/ unemployment?
2)Is the economy good,fair,okay/ jobs plentyful and people working and happy?

I'm looking at a few businesses for sale in Texas and Fla but right now focused on this one in particular.

Any input would be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance.:)

Originally posted by buickman69
1) Is there a lot of job layoffs/ unemployment?
2)Is the economy good,fair,okay/ jobs plentyful and people working and happy?

I live in the FL panhandle. I cannot speak for TX.

There is a lot of seasonal work here. During Spring Break & Summer there is a lot of food industy jobs, hotel work, shop hands, & other "beach" jobs. During the winter there is A LOT of people out of work. There is a upward spike during holiday shopping season for that field of work, but doesn't last long. There is hardly any factories, foundries, or large businesses of that nature here. I am fortunate to have a job with one of the larger employers in this area. Many people stay out of work, but it is growing around here, so who knows. Most people seem fairly happy, but honestly, there is a lot of sickly people here. Funky deseases & bacterias like EmptineBar, Menengitis, WestNile, Ecoli. There is a lot of standing water, therefore the smell of mold or mildew sometimes very strong. (Please forgive my spelling. I'm too lazy to spell check this.):)

The Texas panhandle...do you like westerns? The taste of Dirt? The smell of cow manure?

The amazing thing about living in the Texas panhandle is when you visit a place like cross plains tenessee, you think you are in a tropical rain forest.

Whatever you do, don't visit in March/April and make up your mind. One/two perfect months will give a false impression. Go in July, then go in January. Be amazed at the 80-100 degree difference in high temps.

I'm not knocking texas in any way. The panhandle is just not a place for everyone.

HTH

If all the shades of brown & gray are your personal favorite colors, it's a beautiful place. :)

Thanks for all the replies.
I'd real rather be in Florida close to the beach or closer to a major town in Texas (with vegatation) but this paticular business is like a dream come true if all the financials are what they are suppose to be. So I need to pursue it, research it and see what happens.

Thanks.