Questions about pulling engine

Hotair85

mmmmmmmmmmmmm TURBO!!!!!!
I am going to pull my engine next weekend. I have all the tools to do it, but was wondering if there is anything special to consider when pulling one of our engines? I have removed engines before, mainly SBC's, and know about what is entailed in removing a basic engine. It is a whole new ball game with this new-to-me turbo thing, however. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx. :)

Originally posted by Hotair85
I am going to pull my engine next weekend. I have all the tools to do it, but was wondering if there is anything special to consider when pulling one of our engines? I have removed engines before, mainly SBC's, and know about what is entailed in removing a basic engine. It is a whole new ball game with this new-to-me turbo thing, however. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx. :)

Nothing special but you'll find they sit really far back compared to a small block. It's a Buick/Olds/Pontiac thing. My GTO was the same way. I coulda put another 400 in front of the one that was in it. Lots of room out front. Make sure your boom is of adequate length.

Also, there's an "eye" cast into the block on the back, LH side. That, in conjunction with the "eye" they put on the RH front make it easy to lift out.

Jim

check the link in my sig for my homepage. I just started tearing down the motor for the removal a few weeks ago. It is not too hard, but you gotta be familular with the wires. Go and buy paper sticky lables and lable every single hose and wire before you pull it. Go from one side of the car, around the front and on to the otherside, not missing anything. After that, disconnect the hoses and throttle cable to the TB, Remove the up-pipe, and diconnect the DP and crossover-unscrew the three mounting bolts to the turbo and pull the whole unit out with the TB still attached. That will give you plenty of room to get all the wires labled and removable. Of course, diconnect the tranny when you pull the crossover down. When you get the turbo off, take the DP off of the cat and then get ready for a ton of wires!

Just make sure you lable, lable, lable. You will regret ever touching a wire if it is not labled. Hoses are the same way! Good luck, let us know how it goes!

John

If you have a digital camera, that's the way to go. Labels are good, too, but the camera will show you exactly how everything was. Like what ran underneath what, which hole is a stud vs. a bolt, etc. Saved my butt a few times. My GN engine R&R pics are here:
http://www.turbojimmy.com/gn_engine_pull.html

Good luck,
Jim