Questions about my CLONE.

BADAZZV6

Slippery When Boosted
I just put 82 TRSC on the road. Going down the interstate it's turning 2800 rpm's at 65mph. Its got the TH350 trans. It's sucking some fuel. The trans is shifting thru all three gears fine. It's a little early (3rd by 25-30mph). I believe it has the stock 3:08 rear also.

Can someone tell me how many positions the heater fan has. My 84 donor body has 4. I think the 82's have 3.

The idle is dropping off at stop signs and stalling. I turned the idle up a little, it seemed to help, but went back to stalling on the way home from work. It also idles good sometimes and crappy others.

I'm also getting a lot of spark knock, timing is set to 8 degrees BTDC. It hasn't been on the road for several years.

I'm to read up on all the adjustments/tests in my book for M/C, idle, EGR, TPS etc

Well I've been through a couple tanks of gas. The idle is slightly better. I noticed the idle solenoid is not hooked up. I can't find any unconnected connectors. Is this for A/C cars only? My 82 didn't have A/C.

I hooked a wire to my brake switch to energize the idle solenoid. The solenoid seems to be very weak. Sometimes it pushes the throttle, most of the time it just jumps out to it, but doesn't seem to have enough power to move it. A new one would surely patch my idling.

What RPM's are you guys running cruising at 55 & 65? I'm at 2500/2600 at 55 and 2800 at 65. This thing really wants 4th gear. Let me know what your rpm's are for a given trans and rear end.

Aside from the nickel dime issues, I am actually having fun driving this thing. It surprisingly has got some decent nuts. I can't wait to work thru the knock issues to see what it really has under full throttle.

I may be wrong but I thought I read once if the egr is f'd up it will cause false knock and maybe that's why you are stuck running 8 degrees timing instead of 15.

Out of curiousity, what do you have done to it???

I may be wrong but I thought I read once if the egr is f'd up it will cause false knock and maybe that's why you are stuck running 8 degrees timing instead of 15.

Out of curiousity, what do you have done to it???

15 degrees BTDC wow.....I can hear my knock, so it's real. I originally set it to 10 degrees, but it was knocking under normal conditions. Then I set it back to factory at 8 degrees and it was a lot better, but it wouldn't take anything over 1/2 throttle. It would be nice to get it up to 15. I can run it 3/4 to full throttle under the right conditions for a few seconds. My EGR is unplugged, will that make much difference on these cars??

Not much has been done to it.
Using 84 heads (844's if I remember)
K&N cone filter
EGR disconnected
Smog pump removed
Gutted Cat, 2 1/2" Cat back system with Dynomax Mufflers
Upper and Lower boxed control arms with Poly bushings
Air lift bags in both springs

hmm, should be able to run 15 degrees in park. You might wanna grab a beverage and sit down and go through the threads here on knock. I'm sure you will find a solution.

I pulled the plugs today. I had AC R44T's in it, not sure why, but then again it's been in the garage for 5+ years.

I had a new set of NKG UR5's, so I put them in gapped at 0.035. I drove it to work tonight and the majority of the knock is gone. I'll try to turn up the advance tomorrow and see what it does.

I'm also going to plug the EGR in to see how it goes. Last I remember it was pretty numb with it hooked up.

Try T'ing in a vacuum gauge to the EGR and tape it tot he windsheild. It will help you see when the EGR is opening and closing.

Hookup the EGR, T'd in a vacuum gage, set timing to 15.

Vacuum gauge reads around 13 inches at 45 mph, drops to about 5 when letting off throttle. Is at around 2-3 at idle. During normal take off it is 2-5 then jumps to 13 around 45mph. Goes to zero over half throttle or so.

When I got back the idle was surging up and down like a lost IAC in a ford. I unplugged the EGR and it smoothed right out. The vacuum gage was also tracking with the surging. I immediately thought the EGR was weak then remembered the ECM is controlling the soleniod, so why is it surging.

At 15 degrees I am getting knock at anything over normal acceration. Even at 15 degrees with the EGR hooked up it is really numb. It had a lot better pick up at 8 degrees and no EGR. Must be a junk EGR, maybe its hanging open or sticky.

I did a top end cleaning, it is soaking right now. I'll smoke out the neighborhood tomorrow.