Questions about moving to North Carolina...

brn agn

I asked some of these questions in the Lounge, but I guess I should have started here first. My wife and I are talking about moving to NC soon. I have a job offer in Durham. We will be living in an apartment in the beginning until we can find a house. Does anyone have advice on which areas to live in? Some people replied to my post in the Lounge that certain counties have emissions testing. Are there any counties near Durham that do not have emissions testing and are decent to live in? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What is the problem? Put a good cat on the car and run the EGR valve. If you have a good tune, there shouldn't be a problem.
Conrad

ps...you might try an adjoining county to Durham. All OBD2 cars in most counties have to be plugged into the state's computer but that does not apply to any TR or TTA.

I think after next year the emissions test for 95 and older cars will go away. The new cars 96 and later will be plugged into to check for codes, which they do now.
I think the biggest complant I here from people moving into the area is their is nothing to do,if you like the big city scene you wont find it here.
There are plenty of thing to do you just wont be able walk down the street to do it.If you dont mind alittle drive to work you could live out in the country. The limiting factor will be what you can afford and how far you want to drive!

Agree with above!

Unless other problems should be fine on inspection.

Around here it is pretty laid back, except TRAFFIC :mad: !!
Try to plan your move around where you work. From 6:30am to 9:00 is killer. I can be at the capital from where I live in 1hr. Try in the morining 2hrs 15-30 mins.

There is quite a bit to do, espically if you like college sports. No where in basketball like TOBACCO ROAD! Plenty of concerts, night life, artsy fartsy stuff too, for the ladies. Some Semi-Pro sports too. Alot of stuff going on at the fair grounds all the time too.

If you like to fish, your in Luck. Three of the best bass lakes in the state with in 45 minutes of each other.

Few 1/8 mile tracks within driving distance.

Pretty cool IMO, like I say I live about 1hr from Raleigh and go there ALOT it's a cool place to me :D

Thanks for the replies guys. We have emissions testing where I live now and it sounds like the same test you all have. The TTA passes with no problems. Our daily drivers (97 S-10 and 97 Wrangler) both pass the OBDII test without troubles also. I would just like to avoid the test if I could!

One of the reason that we considered NC is because of the college sports and the beauty of the state. My wife and I are not into the city life so much and we do not have to be entertained. A fun day for me is swinging wrenches in the garage, or taking a ride through the country on my motorcycle or in one of our cars (this is starting to sound like a personal ad!).

It seems as though home prices are similar to where I am now. If we could live in the country and not have a terribly long commute, we may consider that. I didn't know if that would be a possibility. I guess we just need to get there and start looking around. Thanks again for the information. Hope to see you all soon!

brn agn said:
Our daily drivers (97 S-10 and 97 Wrangler) both pass the OBDII test without troubles also. I would just like to avoid the test if I could!

And avoid the $30 dollar inspection fee on them as well.. :mad: ...Plus another $10 bucks if you have window tint. :rolleyes:

Russ :cool:

I drive truck, I've been through almost all citys in NC @ rush hour & I must say Raliegh "I think" has the worst traffic over any city in NC. I would not ride a motorcycle in Raliegh or even Charlotte. I have people in cars that try to push my big truck out of the way & I'm 75'long,12' wide,& 120,000lbs. what do you think they will do to a 700lb motorcycle? depending on what you do for work, & you described no city life, I would look @ other places like Statesville, hickory, or Winston Salem area. we chose the Charlotte area, about 30min north, it's country, but it's growing like wild fire.

Road Rage

TurboIndian said:
I have people in cars that try to push my big truck out of the way & I'm 75'long,12' wide,& 120,000lbs. .

That was me in my 89 Pontiac LeMans econo car pushing you. :eek:

Ya coming to the big Cruise in tonight in Kannapolis at Cannon Village? 1st Saturday every month!!!!

Russ :cool:

I don't know. I have a car in the shop that caught fire, & we need to get the engine out so it can go to the paint shop next week. what time is it?

Steve

ps: was that you I put in the wall on I77 the other day? :eek: :D

SORRY I POSTED UNDER THE WIFES USER NAME!!

"I'VE POSTED & I CANT DELETE"

damn her why can't she log off! :mad: