Question, small rod journal problems

The Swede

-89 TTA 7 sec car
Hi!

We have 2 crank/engines setups, one with the rod journal size appr. 1.85 and a small one with appr. 1.70, the smaller one does have a correct "diiiiiing" in the sound and the big one "dooooong", we have the Corrillio rods that match "doooooong" crank but we want to use the crank that sounds correct, what kinda crank is this, and what rods to use?
Have the "doooong" crank checked and it didn't have any crackes, but it does have a lot of lightholes and heavy metal in it.

Custom order ore what?

I thought Diiiiing and Doooong were my neibours...

had no idea they could measure cranks...:biggrin:

Good luck with your question...:cool:

Rod Journal

Something sounds completely wrong with your description. A normal Buick v6
rod journal is 2.249 unless it is odd-fire which then would be 2.100. If yours are that small they have to be odd-fire!!! Please post some pics and this will help!!! Mike:cool: :rolleyes:

Sorry, my bad... tired and trying to convert mm. into inch is no good combo:redface:

The good "diiiiiiiing" crank has appr. 2.09 journals and the bad crank with "doooong" has appr. 2.24 journals and we have Carrillio rods that fits with the 2.24 journals.

They are both even fire but i will try to get some pics of them tomorrow, the "diiiing" crank is mounted in the block for the moment.

The "doooong" crank have we tested with magnaflux and we couldn't see any cracks on it, could it be all the lightholes and heavy metal inputs that makes the strange sound?

Heard some roumers that smaller journals should have less rotating mass resistans?

The good 2.09 "diiiing" crank have some numbers that i will get a pic of as well.

We start with the crank that has 2.24 journals.

Attachments

• Bild 035low.jpg
    Bild 035low.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Bild 036low.jpg
    Bild 036low.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Bild 037low.jpg
    Bild 037low.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Bild 045low.jpg
    Bild 045low.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 135
And then the 2.09 journal.

Attachments

• Bild 042low.jpg
    Bild 042low.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 141
  • Bild 043low.jpg
    Bild 043low.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 140
Isn't 2.1" the Chevy rod size that people turn a Buick crank down to when the journal is so messed up it won't clean up at 0.030" or whatever the biggest bearings are you can get in the Buick sizes? Also lets you use Chevy rods, which are cheaper, but it makes the crank weaker because there is less meat at the rod throws.

Yeah, right ijames, what ive read is that they used this small journal crank during qualityfication and then changed it and it maybe could take 700 hp.

It has the same size as a small block chevy but not the correct lenght.

Still scratching my head, could the strange doooong in the lightened crank have something to do with all the lightholes and heavy metal in it?

The small journal crank doesn't have all of these holes into the sides of the journal.

How to check it deeper? X-ray?