Question removing intake manifold

Getsidewayz04

My engine is oily from leaking valve covers and who knows where else. Valley pan is full of crud. I am cleaning it this winter and I want to replace the intake manifold gasket. I've already got a lot of parts off, so not too much left to get it off. looking at it, the rear bolt on the passenger side is blocked from being removed by the fill tube for the trans. It looks like the tube needs to be removed to get the bolt out. Can it be loosened and turned? If so, how? Do I need to get under the car? Thanks.

My engine is oily from leaking valve covers and who knows where else. Valley pan is full of crud. I am cleaning it this winter and I want to replace the intake manifold gasket. I've already got a lot of parts off, so not too much left to get it off. looking at it, the rear bolt on the passenger side is blocked from being removed by the fill tube for the trans. It looks like the tube needs to be removed to get the bolt out. Can it be loosened and turned? If so, how? Do I need to get under the car? Thanks.

No.. just pull up on it.. is just in the case with a O ring..

The trans filler tube should be close to the bolt, but not blocking it. Can you use a swivel on the socket wrench? Otherwise, you can locate the bolt on the trans that is holding the filler tube in place and loosen it. It's not easy to reach, but it can be done from the top. But I would think with a little manuevring you could get the bolt off without messing with the filler tube.
Just curious, what suburb do yo live in?

Thanks for the replies, sounds like it shouldnt be too bad. BTW chrisgarret I live in Roselle, right near schaumburg.

Just in case anyone else is wondering, I figured it out. There is a bracket and 14mm bolt that holds the tube in place. If anyone just pulled their's out, it means the bolt was missing. If that was the case, you could just rotate the tube anyway. In order to get to the bolt, you have to remove the ignition module and bracket, and then work from the driver's side of the car to get a wrench in to remove the bolt. Thanks for the replies.

Just in case anyone else is wondering, I figured it out. There is a bracket and 14mm bolt that holds the tube in place. If anyone just pulled their's out, it means the bolt was missing. If that was the case, you could just rotate the tube anyway. In order to get to the bolt, you have to remove the ignition module and bracket, and then work from the driver's side of the car to get a wrench in to remove the bolt. Thanks for the replies.

What you should have figured out is that your trans tube was not where it belonged. It should not be necessary to remove the tube or even bend the tube if it is correctly installed.

gee i guess yur right...ummm no. Ive never worked on these before so I didnt know how its supposed to be, I guess im just not all knowing in terms of buick knowledge as you chrisgarret. I noticed you posted that at 5 in the morning, you should try to get a little more sleep before you post so your not so bitchy. If something i said angered you (although I cant figure out what) too bad, not all cars are the same now are they?? have a nice day. :)

gee i guess yur right...ummm no. Ive never worked on these before so I didnt know how its supposed to be, I guess im just not all knowing in terms of buick knowledge as you chrisgarret. I noticed you posted that at 5 in the morning, you should try to get a little more sleep before you post so your not so bitchy. If something i said angered you (although I cant figure out what) too bad, not all cars are the same now are they?? have a nice day. :)

Just think it's kind of funny that you "figured out" in post #7 what I told you in post #3. I've never know any of these cars to have the trans tube block the intake bolt unless the tube was installed incorrectly. And yes, some people do get up a little earlier than you. You have a nice day too, okay?

Calm down, I didn't think this message board was supposed to be a forum to prove who knows more than who. The idea is to help each other out. Sounds like getsidewayz was just trying to pass along a little helpful information after he solved his problem.

Besides, on my 100% stock 86, the tube did in fact block the bolt you guys are talking about. The bend in the tube was right over the top of the bolt. I could get a wrench on it, but no way the bolt was going to come out without removing the bolt that holds the tube in.

Does that make me stupid too?

Calm down, I didn't think this message board was supposed to be a forum to prove who knows more than who. The idea is to help each other out. Sounds like getsidewayz was just trying to pass along a little helpful information after he solved his problem.

Besides, on my 100% stock 86, the tube did in fact block the bolt you guys are talking about. The bend in the tube was right over the top of the bolt. I could get a wrench on it, but no way the bolt was going to come out without removing the bolt that holds the tube in.

Does that make me stupid too?

I never inferred that anyone was stupid did I? Can you point out where I was trying to point out who knows more? Wasn't I too trying to pass along a little helpful informaton. My point is that if you are going to ask questions at least have the courtesy to read the responses.

:rolleyes: this is not a pi$$ing contest guys these boards are here for help.

Good luc with the intake pull i am pulling mine this weekend as the driver side rear ports are leaking

Also, if you haven't purchased the valley gasket yet, most would recommend the Felpro 96033. If you have an Autozone near you, the part number is
MS96033PB.

chrisgarret, im sorry for my comment. Sometimes its hard to detect tone when its in writing on a screen, I thought you were insulting me by saying what I "should have figured out". I apologize. but thanks for the valley gasket number ill have to get that. btw ever taken your car to the track?? ive never been and want to go when they open this summer and was wondering what tracks are close and are good in terms of prep etc??

That's sometimes the problem with posting on these forums-the mood or intent of a post is lost. If you check through all of my posts (thousands of them) on all four boards, you won't find one wiseass or mean statement. I too apologize to you if I offended you.
I used to go up to Great Lakes Dragway in Union Grove, WI. You should check in with the local Buick club. They go to the drag strips quite often.

Chicagoland Chapter GSCA