question on installing scanmaster 2.1 for buick gn

V6-Sauce

hi, I read the installation instructions on how to hook up the scan master 2.1. Seems pretty simple, there's only 3 wires. One goes to a good ground(black wire), The red wire is (Power) connect to IGN fuse under steering wheel. I'm alittle confused with the green or white wire, It connects to pin E on the plug on the left of the radio under the dash o.k. It's hard to see this in words. I'm new is there any installation pictures or video's for dummies. Any help be appreicate. I don't have it now, just want to be prepared for this coming spring.

I just installed a new one on my car and found it easier to take the 2 mounting bolts out that hold the plug you need to access under the radio.

Then you can more easily see which wire you need to tie into. I just used one of the quick splice terminal connections from autozone to tie into the correct wire.

o.k so u have to cut the wire goes into pin E of the plug and join together with white from the scanmaster?Is that correct

so what about the red wire going to IGN fuse box, can u quick splice that wire also and where's a good ground for black wire

This video has a couple of distractions but basically tells you how to use a quick splice connector.

I just used the male side of a 1/4" quick disconnect connector to plug into an unused IGN3 open slot on the fuse panel.

IMAG0170.jpg

There are several open IGN plugins on the panel. I used the IGN3 just above the radio fuse.
I forget what I tapped into for ground.

Instead of hard wiring in my Scanmaster, I found a 3-wire plug that I used so I could disconnect it easily if I wanted.

IMAG0171.jpg

very helpful, thank you. I appreicate the replys. Now the ALDL connector, instead of splicing the wires. On the ALDL connector, just looking at the plug, A is GROUND, and E SERIAL DATA , Now on the scanmaster black and white wires, Is there a connector to just plug in and what are they called. The pics were very easy to understand, thx again

Somewhere I read that if you can find an 1/8" spade or male quick disconnect connector, you could plug it directly into the ALDL plug.

Aminga is correct. Use solder to the splice and apply liquid tape. I live in a humid area and this approach works.

thx everybody for the feedback...The pics help me out greatly, To see installing the scantool 2.1 correctly. I would rather use a connector plug (from the store) to join onto scanmaster wires for the power(IGN) and ALDL plug (pin E). I'II find a good ground somewhere.Just to keep it stock later without cutting any wires in the car.Thx again. I hope it works like it should, looking forward to reading the car. I should already have got this scantool 2.1 a couple of years ago. I ordered it from Turbotweak, I have TT 93-94 octane chip in the gn now with matching 009's , 340 pump, hotwired, Acufab reg(43psi), 17psi, hooker, stock downpipe,turbo, IC, stock MAF sensor, rjc PP, rjc BC, 160 t-stat, new body bushing, kirban rear seat brace kit, 25psi/vaccum, water gauge, rebuild trans/rebuild & mod stock convertor, rear main seal replaced with trans, no alky, besides the air cleaner looks original. This year looking to rebuild stock turbo, change spark plugs from ac44ts to ac- delco 43. That's it for now, depends on the sensor codes?

Last edited:
I just got the scanmaster, looking forward to hooking it up...I have another question if anybody can help out. For the ground black wire on the scanmaster, instead of looking for a screw or bolt under the dash. Could I use ground source from the ALDL plug it itself, with the .125 blade connect. I've did a search on ALDL plug for that year in gm, I think there's a ground pin in the plug, not sure if it's pin A, or G. I can always look for the black wire in the end of the ALDL plug to make sure.

I did mine a simpler route and got a old cell phone charging plug with the curly cord and took the guts out and soldered the - and + to the plug and made me a terminal for the ALDL plug , plug in to cig lighter and bingo I am on my merry way and plus you can move from car to car in matter of seconds .

I don't know dude, thx for replying...I only have one gn. And I'm not cutting any wires in the car, I can easily remove it with quick male connectors. I have to see, If there's a pin for solid ground in the plug. I might just connect it through there. I'm going to try it tommorrow

I found it on the internet. The ALDL plug in GM cars 1982-1995 car or truck. It does have it. Pin A Top row last pin port going right is Ground. G on the ALDL plug is fuel pump(if used). That what it said by the diagram.

I found this for 1982-1995 GM car or truck ALDL plug diagram, Connected the scanmaster 2.1 today. It works well. again Carl Ramsey thx for the pics, Your the king. Used pin A in ALDL plug for ground. Very clean, installation. I find the wire short or kinda tight in the scanmaster, It wouldnt been nice if they added another foot of wire. Just need to understand #'s on my car.

Attachments

• gm-aldl-connector.gif
    gm-aldl-connector.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 890
Last edited:
Can anybody recommend any tape to mount scantool to top of radio area on dash, that doesnt leave any marks or easy to remove with wetcloth or soap?

I found this for 1982-1995 GM car or truck ALDL plug diagram, Connected the scanmaster 2.1 today. It works well. again Carl Ramsey thx for the pics, Your the king. Used pin A in ALDL plug for ground. Very clean, installation. I find the wire short or kinda tight in the scanmaster, It wouldnt been nice if they added another foot of wire. Just need to understand #'s on my car.

The one on the left is the correct one for us.

This video has a couple of distractions but basically tells you how to use a quick splice connector.

I just used the male side of a 1/4" quick disconnect connector to plug into an unused IGN3 open slot on the fuse panel.

IMAG0170.jpg

There are several open IGN plugins on the panel. I used the IGN3 just above the radio fuse.
I forget what I tapped into for ground.

Instead of hard wiring in my Scanmaster, I found a 3-wire plug that I used so I could disconnect it easily if I wanted.

IMAG0171.jpg
Great minds think alike!
This is identical to what I did also. installed the same connector in my other car, so that I can move between cars. One with a PowerLogger and one without!