Question on Doors

pev96001

I have a 1987 Buick Grand National that I'm currently restoring. Unfortunately, the doors on the car aren't good. But this past week I found a pair of 1981 Buick Regal doors at a salvage yard that don't look bad. The only real problem I have with them is not knowing if they'll fit on my car (oh yea...they're manual doors too :mad: ) So does anyone have a good answer? Let me know. Thanks

Pete

Doors

I believe 81-87 doors are interchangeable, along with 81-87 Cutlass doors. Might be some trim holes to deal with, but the same.

81-87 Doors

Yes They Are The Same,power Or Man.. The Only Difference I Found Was The Rear Window Stop, The Vertical ,slide(so To Speak). This Is The Adjustment That You Can Adjust How High The Rear Glass Will Go To Fit The W-strip..(10 Mm Bolt Head).. Anyways.. This Area Has A Weld On Small Plate To Reinforce This Area, The 1981 Door Does Not Have It. You Can Drill Out The Small 2 Inch By One Inch Plate And Weld It Onto The 81 Door Or Put A Washer On This To Give It More Strength..hope This Helps..

Ok, so I bought the 1981 Buick Regal doors for my 87 GN. As I said before, they're manual windows. Can anyone get me a list of parts I'm gonna need to convert these doors to GN doors? I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

Just swap everything over from the GN doors before you get rid of them. Do one door at a time so you've got a good reference if this is your first time! You'll have to grind/cut out the rivets that hold the window regulators, etc. in place. Then you can use bolts to put them back in place in the 81 doors.

I am going to use whatever I can from the original doors. But, that issue aside, what parts would I need to complete the conversion assuming I didn't have original doors? Just curious...

Just the regulators are all you need to swap. Unless it also has power door locks than you'll need to swap the actuators and the linkage over too. Don't take the lazy way out and cut the harness that runs through the accordion boot in the jamb. The connectors are hiding just past the hinge pillar and all you need to do is pull the boot out of the pillar and unhook it. Leave the hinges bolted onto the car for a quick and easy install. It's a PITA trying to align the door if you have unbolted them from the hinge pillar. Removing them from the door is Okay.;)