Question for Vigilante 5 Disc users

Lynn D. Brown

I have had a 5 disc Vigilante TC for ~ 3 years now. It has a 3000-3500 RPM stall. The engine is built to ~ 500 HP, and the 200 is beefed.

It has always "bucked" @ ~ 2100-2400 RPM. The guys who put it in claim that that is normal, and that it is locking and unlocking in this range. It's a real nuisance in street driving and if I can't straighten it out, I will see if Precision, the manufacturer, can do something. If I had to rate this TC with this experience, I would say that it is a "race-only" converter.

If Precision can't do anything, I will replace it. I have a 3000 stall non lockup which I could use. Any of U guys have any experience with this converter ?

My 5-disc does not do any sort of bucking. Sounds like a weak solenoid. I've had the converter installed with and without 'the tube' and it's never bucked. I have the 'heavy duty' (700R-4, I think) solenoid in my 200R-4. You can also get a chip to move the lockup up to a more reasonable MPH, like 55 or 60.

Jim

My guess is the bucking is because the check ball on the stator was taken out. I have a 5 disc with the check ball still in and it drives like stock. On another car i have the check ball out and when it locks at cruise the car bucks.

Do you know if the check ball is in your stator or not?

My guess is the bucking is because the check ball on the stator was taken out. I have a 5 disc with the check ball still in and it drives like stock. On another car i have the check ball out and when it locks at cruise the car bucks.

Do you know if the check ball is in your stator or not?

Could be the problem. In my case (I know you're not asking me, but I'm going to volunteer the info anyway), I left the checkball in place in both scenarios (with and without the 'tube').

Jim

On the car without the check ball, it does not have a tube. My buddy has a tube and no check ball and his jerks like mine when it locks. My GN has the tube and the check ball in and you can feel it lock, but it is not bad at all. My TTA with no tube/no checkball jolts the car when it locks. Not horrible. But a PITA if you are in and out of the gas right around lock up speed.