question for those who have wiped a cam

I knew it wasnt over for the flat tappet...........

Good work A2000RICH!

I doubt we will see a recovery in the flat tappets reputation but im willing to try again using some of your Lube!

A.j.

send me an address and i will get it on the way

I wonder why the oil only seems to go bad and not work on my #3e lobe but works on all the other lobes. :rolleyes: Literally hundreds of lobes and the only ones to ever wipe was that same lobe :mad:

I wonder why the oil only seems to go bad and not work on my #3e lobe but works on all the other lobes. :rolleyes: Literally hundreds of lobes and the only ones to ever wipe was that same lobe :mad:

I believe this has been discussed in other threads, but it's my understanding there is actually a pretty well documented manufacturing flaw with the #3 exh. lifter bore in 109 blocks that typically prevents that specific lifter from rotating in the bore like it's supposed to. Apparently, it's very common for the #3 exh. to go first as a result of this manufacturing error.

I believe this has been discussed in other threads, but it's my understanding there is actually a pretty well documented manufacturing flaw with the #3 exh. lifter bore in 109 blocks that typically prevents that specific lifter from rotating in the bore like it's supposed to. Apparently, it's very common for the #3 exh. to go first as a result of this manufacturing error.

the "flaw" you refer to is simply that the lifter bore is not lined up quite like the others------this small difference in relationship of the lifter to cam lobe causes a slight reduction in tendency of the lifter to spin--------spinning the lifter presents a larger contact area and drags in more lubrication and thus reduces wear--------can we call it a flaw considering that these engines histrorically have logged a couple hundred thousand miles if they are just driven normally and given normal maintenance-------the daily driver that i have is near 300 thousand miles and I own several high mileage GN's that are in the 200k range-------the problem wasn't nearly as severe until the formulation changes in the oil occured that reduced the ZDDP levels------it was a double whammy-------first the ZDDP produced a sacrificial layer on the contacting parts to minimize wear ------ second the nature of ZDDP slightly increases the ability of the parts to "grip" when they are in contact so the lifter can get a "bite" on the cam lobe and rotate adequately-------this change in formulation is clearly the cause of much of the increase of flat tappet cam failures in the last couple years.....................RC

My experience with bad cam lobes has been much different, maybe close to 50% have been no. 3 exhaust, and usually other lobes on the same cam have also been bad. The other 50% of the cams have had number 3 exhaust good, and various other cylinders bad.:confused:

In the couple hundred flat tappet Buick engines we have built, only 2 have wiped a cam - not no.3 either. Both owners insisted on using Mobil I instead of our recommendation of Valvoline Racing and a ZDDP additive!

RESULTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just opened the motor I tried Zpaste on..................

The Cam looks BRAND NEW still.

amazing.

I want more! How Much?

A.j.

i'm giving out free samples to board members till the final packaging is ready........email me with a request and address

PMed you, very interested.

For what it's worth I wiped my #3 exh lobe about two years ago shortly after buying my car. I replaced the cam with an Erson 208 from Full Throttle, began using ZDDP and have not looked back. No issues to date. Engine will be coming out in the near future in an effort to clean and detail the engine bay and also to maybe step my combo up a bit.

Also forgot to mention I had the pan off, no metal shavings found in the pan and no scoring found on the few caps I pulled.

How many ppm of ZDDP should be in a qt of oil? Mobil 1 15-50 has 1200ppm phosphorus and 1300ppm zinc. Not enough?
The regular mobil 1 has 800ppm phos and 900ppm zinc.

I was wondering...the Mobil 1 10-40 racing 4T motorcycle oil has a whooping 1600ppm phos and 1700 zinc.

So the question is how much per qt is enough?

How many ppm of ZDDP should be in a qt of oil? Mobil 1 15-50 has 1200ppm phosphorus and 1300ppm zinc. Not enough?
The regular mobil 1 has 800ppm phos and 900ppm zinc.

I was wondering...the Mobil 1 10-40 racing 4T motorcycle oil has a whooping 1600ppm phos and 1700 zinc.

So the question is how much per qt is enough?

according to most automotive papers maximum effectiveness is achieved in the 1800-2000 range---------the tech briefs on the zddplus site reference most of those papers in footnotes--------the real issue is not just how much is enough but how much is left after how many miles of use-------depletion is a big issue-------even if you start out with enough it is depleted with use.................RC