question for the buffers

berserker6

Assistant to the regional manager
Ok guys its time for me to get serious about my paint. Its in very good shape with a repaint a couple of years ago. I'd like to get an orbital and bring out that shine so I'm looking for recommendations on an orbital and whatever I use to bring out that shine. You know, those little scratches in the clearcoat. Thanks

X2 on the Porter Cable 7424. You can sometimes find them cheap at Lowes.

Lake country pads are good as well as Meguiars. I would start with a polishing pad and finish with a "fininshing" pad. I doubt you need anything aggressive like a true "buffing" pad.

For polish I recommend Meguiars M205 or Menzerna. I like to use quality micro fiber towels for product removal.

I think I buffed your car a time or Two:)

thanks alot carey. to be honest i still cant get over how good your paint looked at acto AND I WANT THAT!!:biggrin: thanks again

wax on wax off dont work for cars mr meagi. use straight back and forth movement.

wash car from the top down, dont use any kind of blow dry. use asorber or fake chamois. dont need to wash the car every week as the car dont get dirty that often, a detailer spray will do the job.

dark colered cars only polish for that deep shine.

light colors should be waxed for the high gloss.

try to get to this point with your products. easy way to put this without going all nerdy about cleaning a car the right way.

I've had the pc 7424 for yrs...great machine...ez 2 use and very hard to screw anything up. As for pads and product I use griots garage products and pads.

X2 on the Porter Cable 7424. You can sometimes find them cheap at Lowes.

Lake country pads are good as well as Meguiars. I would start with a polishing pad and finish with a "fininshing" pad. I doubt you need anything aggressive like a true "buffing" pad.

For polish I recommend Meguiars M205 or Menzerna. I like to use quality micro fiber towels for product removal.

I think I buffed your car a time or Two:)

After using the meguiars m205 do you wax or leave as is?

The Porter Cable is OK, but there are definitely better Dual Action Polishers out. I use the Meguiars G110v2 and it has more power (will correct faster) and is much quieter than the PC. Lake Country pads are the way to go as well, I like the CCS pads personally.

If the car needs correction, use Meguiars 105 (or Ultimate Compound, works almost as well), followed by Megs 205. After that, top it off with your favorite wax/sealant. Most importantly, make sure to take care of the paint after the correction so you never have to do it again. I usually go over the car with 205 and a polishing pad in the spring for kicks, but i havent had to even touch the 105 or cutting pads in the three years since I initially did it.