question for Lou C

n20junkie

Sponser needed
its a chevy question, sorry, i have a solid roller cam going in my race car, and was wondering if its going to cause problems if i run lifter valley restrictors and valley vent stand offs, thanks
Grant

This answer might help

I'm sorry to reply to your question for Lou C, but I might be of some assistance. A solid camshaft doesn't require as much oil as a hydraulic, so by using oil restrictors you benefit by keeping the oil in the crankcase. Which in result reduces windage and helps keep the oil where you need it, in the bottom end. Vent tubes additionally help by again restricting oil drain back on the camshaft & rotating assembly, but still allows crankcase pressure to vent to the upper half. Again sorry to but in but I thought I might be able to help. :)

no apology required, thats what i was figuring, didn;t know if teh lack of oil would cause valve springs to overheat or stuff, like that, i am pretty sure i am going to install the restrictors, i want to make sure the turbos and crank get the oil, not the heads.
Grant

Originally posted by n20junkie
its a chevy question, sorry, i have a solid roller cam going in my race car, and was wondering if its going to cause problems if i run lifter valley restrictors and valley vent stand offs, thanks
Grant
[/I my application I epoxyed debris screens.I preferred to allow oil to drain in normal fashion. I didn't want any cam lubrication problems & also intended to drive it some on the street. I built the engine five years ago & is still running strong with no issues. By the way that car is back at my shop in CA. & is now owned by one of my customers.

i plan on taking her on the street everyoen once in a while, so screens it is, did you use just a standard HV pump ?
Grant

I'm glad I might have been of some help. The lifters will still see lubrication but it will be restricted because a solid camshaft doesn't require as much lubrication. The main reason is that a hydraulic needs oil to keep it pumped up to maintain valve lash within the lifter. With a solid lifter you will still lubricate your rockers and valvetrain hardware through the pushrods and maintain lash at the valve tip. Even buick engines can benefit from this method. If you read the Buick Power Source Manual they suggest rotating the front cam bearing to block off the oil passage & drill a hole instead to restrict oil flow to the upper half. My point being is don't worry about restricting oil on a solid camshaft engine whether it is a Chevy or a Buick the principles for any engine is still the same. Anytime you can maintain control of oil inside of an engine you will benefit from it.

Also don't worry about your camshaft, it will and always has been for the most part lubricated by splash from the rotating assembley. Using a HV pump is always a good addition but the trade off is the loss of parasitic HP.

the only reason i was wondering about a hv pump was because of the twin turbos, have some sprint car buddies that run BBC pumps, didn;t know if i needed something that big or not.
Grant

If I was going to drive the vehicle on the street at all where it will see any decent amount of time idleing I would not use the restrictors. I solid Roller requires lots of oil for the lifters to keep them alive. I had a buddy, that had a small block ford with a solid roller in it and he used the restrictors even after I told him not to and he drove the vehicle on the street. Well he let it idle a couple times for 3-5 min. and it finally killed a couple lifters from lack of oil. Restrictors should be considered a RACE ONLY type of affair. Drew

hey Grant,
when is that website of your returning? It was one of my motivators for my slowly progressing heap!:cool:
Jason

i jsut got out of the service and had not been keeping up with it, i didn't think anyone looked at it, but i see from many people asking where it went that people actually did go there, i will ahve lots of time this spring and plan on having the car a the dyno and stuff, so hopefully i will get it back up and show you guys some real progress.
Grant