Question about stock shift firmness

Black Box

Out cruisin'.
I'm thinking about doing some mods to the trans before I start making anough power to fry it. I have a Perma-Cool trans cooler with the integral fan, which will be plumbed with Russell braided steel lines and AN fittings. I'm gonna install it this winter (car is going off the road soon).

Other than that I was thinking primarily of a shift kit, but the car seems to shift hard as it is. It will rip the tires loose with a healthy chirp going into second gear, even more so when cold. It surprises a lot of people (even the true car guys) with how hard the shifts are. Even the shifts into 3rd and OD are firm, positive shifts. There does not seem to be any slippage whatsoever, except on real hot days this summer, the WOT shifts were firm but you could feel MINIMAL slippage.

I was also thinking about an aluminum trans pan with a better filter.

I have most of the receipts for the parts that were added to the car before I bought it, and there is nothing relating to the trans.

I guess the question is, how hard do these cars shift with a purely stock trans? I would hate to go and spend the money on a shift kit if the car already has one.

Thanks,
Steve

Before I got my 87, I had an 85 that I had the tranny rebuilt in. I had AAMCO do it. They rebuilt it back to stock and, when I got on it, it would rip the tires going into second gear. Under moderate throttle, you could feel it shift nice and firm, but the WOT shifts just tore the pavement up. The 87 trannies are supposed to shift even firmer from 1st to 2nd so I would guess your tranny is stock. BTW, if there was a shift kit put in on the rebuild, nobody told me about it and I surely didn't ask for one to be put in.

I GOT A 87' TRANS WITH LOW MILES IN MY 85', AND WOW DOES IT SHIFT HARD.I KNOW IT IS STOCK.I HAVE NEVER FELT A STOCK TRANS SHIFT SO HARD...........I LOVE IT !:cool:

I have seen very few untouched BRF trannys. The ones that shift that hard have a shift kit I would bet. If it shifts good leave it alone. Art Carr got rich on shift kits for these trannys. It seems like just about every BRF I have done has one of his kits.

Lonnie Diers

Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I'll leave it alone for now and see if the addition of the cooler makes any difference in the shift quality when it's hot. I do like the way it shifts, and I'd hate to dig into it and screw something up. :eek:

Any advice on a deep pan and filter?

Steve

I PUT A TRANS COOLER ON AND IT MADE A WORLD DIFFERENCE WHEN THE CAR GETS HOT. SHIFT DOES NOT SLACK UP VERY MUCH AT ALL. ANYTHING THAT COOLS IT OFF WILL HELP. DEEP PANS HELP, BUT NOT LIKE A COOLER.:cool:

My trans is still untouched to this day. I know this b/c mine is one of the last off the line in 87 and has been in my drive-way since it came fresh off the truck in 87. My mom (bless her heart:D ) gave me the car about two years ago and was as stock as it could get. It slaughtered the tires 1-2 shift and 2-3 was killer also(at 88K mi.). But after modding the motor and pushin some serious power it now shifts sloppy as hell. The stock stuff won't last long with real power, at least not at age and many miles. BTW, I talked with a guy around here where I live and he told me that if I bought the rebuilt kit and the other stuff I want, he will do the rebuild for me for $700. Is this a good price, anybody?