question about rebuild

tacordes

hello I have a 87 gn.. its starting to slip alittle more than I care for. Im not sure if it has a shift kit . The car has never really had a really good shift feel..
Over the weekend I pulled the trans and took it apart... most of the clutches are very worn...
OK heres my question.. One of the people here sells rebuild kits ..however im not sure which one to purchase..he sells a stage 1 kit for cars up 400 hp.... and a stage 2 for up to 600 hp.
Im not sure what my hp is. .My car is a upper 12's @ about 110...
stock converter --- alky --- te44
I dont really want to spend the extra money for a stage 2 kit if it would be just overkill.....

any advice would really be helpfull... also would a shift kit be all that helpful .... if the trans is freshly rebuild....
Ive never rebuild a 2004r... however I do have a manual and really good video thats goes through a total rebuild start to finish....
thanks
tom st. louis

Well, I suggest you get CK's manual. In it he shares all of his experience with the 2004r. He tells, and shows you, step by step what to do, and why. It also shows you all of the tricks and modifications he uses to strenghthen the transmission and ensure that the transmission will live no matter how powerful your engine.

You won't find any of this information in the ATSG manual or the video.

I have one on order myself, and until it arrives, I am not even thinking about assembling my transmission. It, and some parts I ordered from CK, should arrive this week and the build shall commence. :)

I just wanted to add something... You should build for the future when building a tranny. Sure you might not have what it takes to destroy a tranny capable of handling 400 hp now but what about next year? The h.p. bug bites hard. It costs a little more but don't all speed parts? A 400 h.p. capable tranny might be happy now but when you decide to throw away that 44 for a big ole 70 you'll see my point.:)

my master overhaqul kit is the most complete available.all bushings,thrust washers ,selectives,gaskets ,seals,filter,alto wide band all frictions and steels.299.00