Question about my 84 torque converter

Sweetblack85

High Powered
I have a 84 buick hot air gn and I don't know if someone replaced the converter before I bought the car the numbers are CB9D 8639265 it's got D5 stamped all the way around the edge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 119
D5 convertors are original equipment in these cars (at least the 86-87 intercooled models). Not 100% sure about the 84-85 Hot Air cars though.

The 84-85 cars used the D5 converter as well as the 86-87 cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks to be the correct code, and with the D5 stamping it's likely the original converter. Should have a stall speed around 2400 or so give or take.

All the original '84-85 turbo Regals I have experienced did NOT have a D-5 converter, or at least they were not stamped as such?

The parts listing showed the D-5 only in 1986-7 along with another different number for the GNX.

If you have a D-5 converter, that is a good thing for your build!

I've had 2 hot air cars myself and my brother owned one. All 3 cars as original as the day they left GM, and all 3 cars had converters stamped with the D5 code.

Not really stock now I'm having the transmission rebuilt and looking to be at around 400-500hp range after 3" down pipe and meth injection.

Is it still a HA car? What other mods? It will need quite a bit more then just a meth kit and downpipe to make that kind of power

Rebuilt block forged pistons arp bolts used, ported intake, ported and polished heads bigger turbo not sure how big but it's not stock and probably every bolt on and upgrade you can do on a hot air.

Ok, that clears things up a bit. So how is spool up on your current setup, spooling fast or slow? Does it have a larger cam then stock? What size turbo? All questions that would help with converter selection. I would probably talk with the veteran trans guys on this one as they would be more help then I.

The spool up is slow and the cam is stock. The turbo was bought from turbo engineering before I purchased the car I had it rebuilt recently and the guy said its the biggest compressor wheel that can be put in the stock housing he told me the size but I forgot I'll call him tomorrow and see if he remembers me.