question about factory gm parts

BOOSTEDGNs

My question is are all gm parts labeled with gm part #'s even if they are produced in lets say Canada?

Reason is I ordered weatherstrip off ebay and was sent door weatherstrip that was supposed to be gm factory peices and what I recd was 2 weatherstrips with canada stickers on them, the pieces do not have distinct #'s on them but they feel like the original stuff and look factory but just do not have the markings Im used to looking at...

any and all help would be greatly appreciated

miamimotorsports

are the people I purchased it from....

Alan

BOOSTEDGNs said:
My question is are all gm parts labeled with gm part #'s even if they are produced in lets say Canada?

Reason is I ordered weatherstrip off ebay and was sent door weatherstrip that was supposed to be gm factory peices and what I recd was 2 weatherstrips with canada stickers on them, the pieces do not have distinct #'s on them but they feel like the original stuff and look factory but just do not have the markings Im used to looking at...

any and all help would be greatly appreciated

miamimotorsports

are the people I purchased it from....

Alan

From memory the one's I ordered from a Buick dealer had some Canada stickers etc. Red leaf type perhaps... been a couple of years.

Probably real.
I just picked up yesterday new factory headlight bezels (2), & side marker lights (2) from a So Cal Dealer that I had ordered a few weeks back, and to say the least, i am just outraged at the quality of these items compared to the originals, especially the quality of the chrome. $ 300 worth of inferior quality crap. All original GM stuff, all originasl GM part #'s, all original GM part # tags. Just junk. I hold GM management responsible for this, not Canada, I just can't believe it. And best of all, you know that they won't take it back, as it is special ordered and already paid for. Suppose that I would have a chance refuting this on my credit card? Will they fight GM. I am just beside myself over this. And unfortunately, no, this is not the end of this rant, either.

Not doubting you Gary, but couldn't they get another if it was bad enough? I ordered the black trim piece at the bottom of the windshield last year from a local dealer. Came in being bent. They got the second one and it was scratched. They said they then put on the order a note, something like RFI. Request For Inspection I think, not sure tho. Third one came in plastic, wrapped up in heavy paper. Finally was ok.

David

Wells said:
Probably real.
I i am just outraged at the quality of these items compared to the originals, especially the quality of the chrome. $ 300 worth of inferior quality crap. All original GM stuff, all originasl GM part #'s, all original GM part # tags. Just junk.

I hear you on that, I ordered a GM chrome headlight bezel last year for my t-type and the plating was very crappy... Like what you get from those cheapo places that sell replacement parts made in China. I too was very dissappointed...

I'm sure GM will tell you that you are lucky they still sell anything for those antique 80's Buicks :eek:

Pete

Just a theory -- Wonder if the replacement parts are items that didn't pass inspection to be put on a car on the assembly line. I ordered some extra headlight bezels for my GN years ago and they were not as nice as the originals.

Your parts are original GM. Just about all of the replacement parts are made in Canada for some reason. It has something to do with CUAW contracts. Those maple leafs are on everything. They are mainly used for customs inspections. Just about everything still available for our cars was manufactured after 1987 so you can throw that blem and defect theory out the window. All of these parts are made by contract by independent manufacturers. GM only owns the trademarks and the tooling equipment. I suspect the reason some of the parts are poor quality is because they no longer have to meet GM quality standards. When a car is new you will see better quality parts. Afterall GM wants those higher customer satisfaction index numbers and minimal losses with warranty replacements. Also the tooling maybe worn out and they probally go with the lowest bid. I guess you could say you get what you pay for as far GM goes. If a dealer doesn't take a part back than that is the dealer and not GM. I'm a big enough dealer so if someone isn't satisfied than I have no problem refunding the money, all I will be out of is the time spent. Just about everything is returnable to GM so there really isn't a good reason not to take a part back. If I have problem with GM than all I have to do is pick up the phone and put a RFI on the part and someone at the warehouse will put in extra packaging or do what ever it takes to remedy the situation. Not much can be done about the actuall manufacturing process,and I have had that problem with the discolored chrome plastic. The only thing I could do with that problem was order a bunch of headlamp bezels hoping that I could get a different batch in made on a different day. Sometimes you have to look at the problem and try and figure out whether it was with who made the part, or who shipped the part. A lot of the damage can be put on FedEx or UPS and shame on the dealer for not filing a damage claim and getting you another part. It sounds like a lot of you guys' problem is with the dealer. Somedays I feel like throwing my hands up and sayin I surrender when I see the condition of some of these parts. I always try and make the effort to see that the best parts go out to you Buick guys anyway. Sometimes I have a hard time doing the same for the Corvette and Chevy guys.

FWIW & IMHO:
Well, after kicking this thing around, it seems to me that I owe everybody an apology here, primarily for hijacking the thread and taking a different theme and direction with it. I also appreciate all of the advice received here. I think that I am going to open all of the items, just to cover my bases here, as so far I had only opened 1 headlight bezel. But I have a sinking feeling that I am not going to like what I see. I am going to offer the dealer the opportunity to take the stuff back,and if that doesn't work, I am going to consider the credit card withdraw/dispute or whatever it is. As far as the quality issue at hand, let me put it to you this way, If I had opportunity to see this thing before I bought it, I woluld not have bought it. 1 was a spare and the shotgun side headlight bezel was to replace a pre-existing 1 that the chrome is wearing away and showing the copper flash in the lower inside corners. This is definitely a poor quality manufacturing/processing (plating) issue and nothing to do with shipping. Box is fine, virgin, just crappy chrome. I am actually afraid to open the side markers packages. Thanks for the info-turbofish38-. Sorry about the thread disruption.