Question about body bushings

Johnnie

Now, fellow TB enthusiasts please remember I am a newbie so forgive me for perhaps a dumb question, but when installing the missing body bushings do you have to lift the body a little to install them? My learning curve is still pretty steep............

Yep. u will need to loosen all the bolts on the body itself. Then jack up the body a little and slide them in. Re-tighten all the bolts.

X2 except he omitted the step where you cross your fingers hoping like hell the nuts dont spin from the inside... if they do you need to cut the trunk floor open to get at them. Hopefully your car didnt spend any time in new england!

New England, no. Northwest Ohio yes. But, looking under the car one is hard-pressed to find any rust other than some very minor surface stuff. I really don't think this car saw any inclement weather , yet alone snow and salt. I even think I was the first person to get the danged thing wet....
Cutting the trunk floor?? Wow. In that case I might live with what I have.

Jack it up w/ the bumpers on, and you chance skinning the fillers.
Why would you install only the missing mounts?

It's best to remove the bumpers. Like Chuck Leeper says, "Why would you install only the missing mounts?" The bushings are probably the original bushings and hardware, which makes them about 30 years old..... Buy a new bushing kit including the GNX bushings and new hardware from Dennis Kirban. Spray the bolts that you can with a lubricant, and the ones that you can't, well then hope they don't break. I did mine and none of them broke. Should be okay. Car will feel much tighter and drive much nicer when you're done. If you have a lift it's pretty easy, without a lift it's a little tougher, but still doable.

Plan was to buy the kirban kit-- guess I should've been more specific. As far as drivability goes, the new kyb's, new tires, Sc&c front triangular brace and umi rear shock brace have helped out a lot. No doubt replacing all the body bushings would make it exponentially better. Just gotta find a knowledgable shop to do it that's not hundreds of miles away.....

It's best to remove the bumpers. Like Chuck Leaper says, "Why would you install only the missing mounts?" The bushings are probably the original bushings and hardware, which makes them about 30 years old..... Buy a new bushing kit including the GNX bushings and new hardware from Dennis Kirban. Spray the bolts that you can with a lubricant, and the ones that you can't, well then hope they don't break. I did mine and none of them broke. Should be okay. Car will feel much tighter and drive much nicer when you're done. If you have a lift it's pretty easy, without a lift it's a little tougher, but still doable.

^^^^^^^^^^^YEP!

If you're concerned that the bolts have rusted in place, it's best to drill a small hole inside the floor and trunk right above the bolt and use the small straw to squirt some penetrating oil directly on the top of the nut cage

It's really not that hard to do. I did all mine years ago one night after work in the garage. I left my bumpers on, but I have an unusually forgiving set of bumper fillers on my car. Also, my bolts weren't rusted, let alone seized. YMMV.

The missing mounts are the lowers ones under the frame, not the ones between the body and frame. Just unbolt and place new lowers in, like the others said pray they come out.