Question about billet main caps...

T Rubble

I searched and could not find anything on this but I am curious as to what benefits do billet main caps provide? What problems appear if you do not have them? Any problems if you do have them installed? I am actually deciding on whether or not I will put them in my motor but I really would like to understand what they are contributing before making a decision.
Thanks for the help,
Scott

I searched and could not find anything on this but I am curious as to what benefits do billet main caps provide? What problems appear if you do not have them? Any problems if you do have them installed? I am actually deciding on whether or not I will put them in my motor but I really would like to understand what they are contributing before making a decision.
Thanks for the help,
Scott

The two center caps have been known to crack and then you get the drive over the crank action which means the crank breaks. It is a very good investment however you will have to line bore and hone the block if you are going to install them. Very cheap insurance and great peace of mind.

do it. i cant believe how nice they look. they look like a very high quality piece. i just droped my oil pan there nice.

Get them . i broke all caps except rear main. And boost231 is right. makes me wanna do my rear main just to look at them.

Get them . i broke all caps except rear main. And boost231 is right. makes me wanna do my rear main just to look at them.

You do not hear of the front one breaking that often. Out of curiosity were you pushing the car extra hard?

I did a set of injectors and took car for test drive. Waist gate controller vacuum line got kinked up in hood hinge.when I took off car was running good. Dummy me i did not look at boost guage. my buddy told me something was wrong with guage. the next time i mashed on it i was doing about 35 mph car went sideways and then hooked as i looked at boost guage it was buried at 30psi:eek: . The engine did not like that.It started shaking real bad and was making weird noise.Upon taking it apart i found broken caps. All but rear main.

I did a set of injectors and took car for test drive. Waist gate controller vacuum line got kinked up in hood hinge.when I took off car was running good. Dummy me i did not look at boost guage. my buddy told me something was wrong with guage. the next time i mashed on it i was doing about 35 mph car went sideways and then hooked as i looked at boost guage it was buried at 30psi:eek: . The engine did not like that.It started shaking real bad and was making weird noise.Upon taking it apart i found broken caps. All but rear main.

That must have been some massive detonation! :eek: The key is no detonation, and a little bit of luck....:wink: .I have a bunch of 10sec passes and even harder street miles all with the exact same pumpgas/alky tune. Completely stock bottom end, caps etc. just the way it came from the factory. It has been together for 2 years at this power level! :cool: I can see it now....the next time I floor it the crank will make an exit out the bottom...****.

That would certainly do it. Wow, good thing you pulled it apart before the crank went through the oil pan. I have heard some pretty wild stories about the crank coming out.