Question About Appearance Of Reconditioned Heads.

thepremier

I am looking at buying some heads, and I found some at a machine shop that they are selling after a customer failed to pay for the work done on the heads.

Here is what has been done to the heads:

A pair of 86-87 Buick Grand National turbo cylinder heads. These are 445's. They have been thermal cleaned, shot blasted, magnafluxed, guides checked for wear and replaced as needed, performance valve job, new valve seals, decks lightly machined for cleanup and compatible with Cometic gaskets, new Comp 980-12 Springs for Comp 260H camshaft set up at 95 pounds, the valve tip heights have been checked and corrected as needed. These heads are very nice and ready to run. We sell items left over 30 days. This customer has neglected to pay his bill.

I just wanted the help of you guys who are more knowledgable. Is that rust on other area of the heads that haven't been resurfaced? I just wasn't sure if this is some type of rust, and if this is normal in appearance. I would appreciate the help.

Attachments

• heads.jpg
    heads.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 188
The rust isnt an issue on used heads i the 3 holes or indentations. Take a SOFT copper wheel on a dremmel or scotchbrite pad & just remove any flaky bits if you like. Then run RMI 25 & distilled water thru the rad all summer. It cleans them up good.

I am looking at buying some heads, and I found some at a machine shop that they are selling after a customer failed to pay for the work done on the heads.

Here is what has been done to the heads:

A pair of 86-87 Buick Grand National turbo cylinder heads. These are 445's. They have been thermal cleaned, shot blasted, magnafluxed, guides checked for wear and replaced as needed, performance valve job, new valve seals, decks lightly machined for cleanup and compatible with Cometic gaskets, new Comp 980-12 Springs for Comp 260H camshaft set up at 95 pounds, the valve tip heights have been checked and corrected as needed. These heads are very nice and ready to run. We sell items left over 30 days. This customer has neglected to pay his bill.

I just wanted the help of you guys who are more knowledgable. Is that rust on other area of the heads that haven't been resurfaced? I just wasn't sure if this is some type of rust, and if this is normal in appearance. I would appreciate the help.

How much are they asking for them. That is the question. They are stock valves, non ported heads. Not worth a whole lot.

Take a very careful look at the area bewteen the valves. Iron heads are know to crack there.