Question...about alternators...

John84GN

Nice Monte...
I did a search first, and couldn't really come to my own decision....Here goes.

I can get a 100 amp Chrome alternator for $95.00, or a 140 amp Chrome alternator for $125...

The Question is...Which one should I get? Do I need 140 amps? I mean I do have a stereo pushing about 750-1000 watts...and I also have Neon lights, and HID's...

I know nothing about alts, but personally I would go bigger. If nothing else, it will have to work less, and should last longer.

Mind telling us about this HID deal?

Static

If you turned on every electrical component in your car, what do you estimate the total load to be? I'm not an electrical engineer but the formula for power is P=IxE. I don't know if this would apply to your situation but just for grins, assume I=100 amps and E=12 volts. Plugging these values into the formula results in 1200 watts. If your stereo system really peaks out at 1000 watts, that leaves 200 watts for everything else on your car. (HID headlights and all) You may want to go with the 140 amp alt and hope the rest of your car's electrical system is up to it. Someone else on this forum may know better though. Good luck.

if you ever decide to go with an electric fan you'll be glad you went with the 140...

:cool:

I was considering upgrading a while back. What changed my mind was after measuring the current with everything running, including both electric fans, bright lights, brake lights, etc, there was less than an 80AMP draw. I did not, however try it with my 700watt amp turned up. The power was on but the volume was down.

Two quick Questions:

1: Do fans pull alot more amps when they are turning on?

2: How does one go about measuring the amp draw of their system?

I had my amperage measured at Sears. They put a ampmeter on the positive cable. It's free, at least where I live.

I'm pretty sure any electric motor pulls more amps as they are getting up to speed. That would've been an interesting test while we were measuring amps.