Question about 1980 3.8 Turbo ... It's "DEAD"

1980 Buick

HELP: ;)

I have (still) NO Turbo function ... NOTHING. I have a free spinning Turbo, a correctly functioning waste-gate actuator, and functioning pressure oper. dash lights or "Turbo Power" lites * (they work when you put shop pressure into the hose (under the hood at comp. base) *appx. 7-12 lbs to get yellow / red lights to come on the dash ).

So, in trying to diagnose this, I now have the Down Pipe off, I can see the Turbo "turbine" (looking at me), *** (again it spins freely, NO Play)*** So then I start the car, and at just above an idle, the compressor (turbine) turns. THEN: "Rev it" and it screams ! (the Turbine) I cannot stand the smell / noise and I am afraid to drive it this way as it may ruin the cars hood. I did find a couple of kinks in the "down-pipe" (right off the Turbo down to cat. converter) *this pipes 3-4 feet long and I took it too a local muffler place to see if another one can be created (made). I suppose I should try to see what if ANY pressure I'm building up (on a gauge) ?

But has anyone seen / observed a supposedly "good" Turbo that won't work EVER ???

Anyone have any other ideas ? Theirs NO Vacuum hose to the waste-gate (it's plugged off) ... just the pressure hose off the compressor base "that's it" The PEVR valve is out, (but that's academic at this point as I understand it ???) "I'd just like a "basic Turbo function" but again, it's DEAD.

I poised this question before and still can't seem to figure it out. ALL THIS IS 100% Factory OEM. (this car.)

< Any suggestions appr. > o_O

Is the wastegate flapper there? Maybe it's bypassing the ex

Is the wastegate flapper there? Maybe it's bypassing the ex

YES Sir !! (I neglected to mention that) I used a mirror, and too me it looks just fine ... Whats your opinion about the Turbine turning (just above idle) ALL the time ... NORMAL ?

But yes: I see the hole, & I see the "flapper" gate / door and it looks fine. THANKS A MILLION FOR TRYING TO HELP !!

The flapper should be covering the hole or it wont make boost. If there is no ex leak then the turbo has to spool. maybe the compressor wheel is hurt? It would have to be wasted to not work at all

The flapper should be covering the hole or it wont make boost. If there is no ex leak then the turbo has to spool. maybe the compressor wheel is hurt? It would have to be wasted to not work at all

Exactly ! (Its covering the hole) *I can take the arm off (the wastegate arm) and again, use a mirror and "move the flipper". It looks fully intact / OK. *I should add that I can hear the Turbo "whine" or spool, But: Put the pedal to the mat, & I'll NEVER get boost. I've carefully checked the ESC module and set the timing to 15* ... I'm thinking it could be exhaust flow (a restriction) ... so after I get the "downPipe", I will take it out and run it raw ... (with no exhaust).

AGAIN ... The Turbos spinning 99% of the time ! is this NORMAL ?? (The Turbine wheel looks great).

Exactly ! (Its covering the hole) *I can take the arm off (the wastegate arm) and again, use a mirror and "move the flipper". It looks fully intact / OK. *I should add that I can hear the Turbo "whine" or spool, But: Put the pedal to the mat, & I'll NEVER get boost. I've carefully checked the ESC module and set the timing to 15* ... I'm thinking it could be exhaust flow (a restriction) ... so after I get the "downPipe", I will take it out and run it raw ... (with no exhaust).

AGAIN ... The Turbos spinning 99% of the time ! is this NORMAL ?? (The Turbine wheel looks great).
The turbine should spin as long as ex gases are flowing through it. If you have a plugged catalytic converter it could cause enough backpressure to prevent spoolup.

The turbine should spin as long as ex gases are flowing through it. If you have a plugged catalytic converter it could cause enough backpressure to prevent spoolup.

OK: I ran it "open exhaust" ... (Loud and nothing) ... then I removed the Factory air inlet (better, but still in great want) ... then I taped a pressure gauge to the windshield, I get 7lbs pressure (boost). I got one lite (on the inst. panel) ... a yellow Turbo Power lite, *with the air inlet off and the Pedal too the flour. I DO have dist. vacuum advance, timings set at 17*, and so far as I can tell the secondaries are up and going. *The secondarie vacuum break is working (the vacuum pull-off's "on") .

I know it's hard for you to perhaps understand MY Thinking here ... But I will NOT alter this in any way. I have driven many of these and can remember very well the power they had ... "NO it's not fuel injection", but it will (or it should) raise your eyebrows when it Boost's correctly. I don't know, I guess I'll have to get a new Turbo someday (or something) ... But NO Holly Carburetors or K & M Filters ... "no-way". "I'd rather walk" "lol" ... Ah who knows ... "somethings right under my Nose (the problem) *One day I'll figure it out.

Thanks for everyone's help all the same !!

I don't remember them being stellar performers. Less than 200hp and fairly slow spooling. A converter and 3.42 or better yet 3.73 gear will wake it up a bunch.

I don't remember them being stellar performers. Less than 200hp and fairly slow spooling. A converter and 3.42 or better yet 3.73 gear will wake it up a bunch.

No, (your right) ... These never "spanked ya" BUT: outa the hole, they quickly recovered upon meeting 2nd - 3rd gear with stellar acl. ! ;)

7 lbs of boost is about right for the stock turbo. It should be 8 lbs but you may have a guage reading low. If you go to www.beforeblack.net and do a little reading you should find out how to make the waste gate adjustable and get some more boost our of it.

7 lbs of boost is about right for the stock turbo. It should be 8 lbs but you may have a guage reading low. If you go to www.beforeblack.net and do a little reading you should find out how to make the waste gate adjustable and get some more boost our of it.
Already been there, (I even wired it wide open as well as shut) I had an adjustable waste-gate and it made no difference ... *I was never sure if LONGER was better, or shorter. Anyway, It was the same result. (no Turbo / suttle Turbo) *Also: I NEVER have gotten a RED LITE on the inst. panel either (a "Turbo Power" lite.)

The lights really only indicate that you have some form of boost and if the red light isn't coming on then you may have a bulb out.

The lights really only indicate that you have some form of boost and if the red light isn't coming on then you may have a bulb out.
The red lite comes on at about 9-10 lbs boost tho. :) (I Make the "boost pressure" with Shop-air)