Quality of c.a.t. rods

Vega v-6

Wanting to know if These rods sold by C.A.T. are better quality than stock rods and how they compare to more expensive rods. Planning on about 450 to 500hp.prices are about $279, I was going to buy new rod bolts so why not spend a little more for all new rods if they're any good. Also, Any pros or cons on full floating pin end or not?

IMO, the CAT rods are pretty much the same quality as the SCAT and R.P.M. brands. They are all from China as we have all guessed. Rods in this type are usually rated at 700hp for the Chevy applications, so I don't see why the rating would be any different on the Buicks. The only con on using floating pins is you would have to use a more expensive piston that is cut for the spiro-locks. For your power goals of 450-500hp, these rods would be more than fine. I have stock rods w/ ARP bolts and polished beams in my engine making about 500hp w/ no problems yet :)

This product is the lowest of the china import junk, go over to Team Chevelle and do a search unless you like to collect paper weights I would look for Lunati or an equal product.

Bill (88502)

This product is the lowest of the china import junk, go over to Team Chevelle and do a search unless you like to collect paper weights I would look for Lunati or an equal product.

Bill (88502)

How can you make a statement like that ? I'm not a supporter of China . but if a rod can hold up to what a " properly refurbished" stock rod can or more for a lot less $$$ is not a bad deal IMO . Lunati does NOT make rods for Buick V6's as far as I know . around here to get a set of 20 year old Buick V6 rods done real nice/properly with a set of ARP bolts cost alot more then a set of the C.A.T. rods .

It's your money have at it, But having had some first hand experience with this "junk" I thought I would save you the headache, Like I said go to Team Chevelle and do a search , This has been talked to death over there by experienced machinist and engine builders alike.

Bill (88502)

Team Chevelle - Online Performance Your total resource center for Chevelles & El Caminos.

Try the performance or the engine forums

If the CAT's do not interest you , maybe consider the K1's . a bit more money . I used them in my latest build , very nice/good quality looking rod and machined in the good USA . :) And the owner Tom is a stand up guy .

i dont know about cat but i made 1000 hp on my 91mm turbo 400 vega using eagle rods.im sure they are proably the same thing

K1 rods

I don't know if it makes any difference to you guys, but K1 is a division of Carrillo Rods. I love the Carrillo rods in my stageII motors. Thats why Dad and I went with the K1's in our stock block motors. HTH

Brandon

Scat and cat are not the same thing, Scat ,Eagle ,Lunati are all good stuff but the cat stuff is finished on out dated machines and the tolerences are horrible, again go to the Team Chevelle site I have refrenced and read your self.
Bill (88502)

Bill, there is no quicker way to get us to tune out than to keep refferencing Chevy stuff. Chevy type thinking ruins otherwise good Buick motors.

Now about those rods, its quite possible they are poorly machined junk or they could be just good starting points for a real machinist to make work. I fully believe that you get what you pay for and I am happy with my K1 rods which are Chinese made, US machined. What we really need is for a Buick engine builder to step in and say they are junk or not.

Someone asked if they were good or not I put my two cents in, If you are going to bitch about the answer then don't ask the question. Does first hand experience not count for anything,next time I will just mind my own buisness and let whomever learn an expensive lesson. Get over the chevy stuff as I have 3 SS Chevelles.

Bill(88502)

chevy or buick i think that bill is telling ya right if he has had first hand accounts you should listen to him.they arent going to make the chevy rods junk but the buick rods just awesome i assure you.if anything they would be better for the chevy due to millons of small block chevys compaired to thousands of buick 3.8s.good luck with your choices

The Buick 3.8 is the second most common engine GM ever made.

Bill, its not a personal slam and I fully realized you probably had Chevys but.... belaboring the Chevy thing isn't going to get anyone's attention anymore than refferencing it once or twice. I agree they are likely junk just pointing out for future refference if you try to give people engine advice based on a Chevy on things other than company reputation and quality, you are likely to be ignored or flamed.

Dan @DLS sells the K-1 Rods. I think that oughta say something about their quality. :biggrin: