Pypes exhaust install pics and soundclip

russgoodman

I took the advice of a few others on the board and purchased the pypes exhaust kit from summit with the race pro mufflers. It replaced a rusted out flomaster system that wouldn't correctly bolt up to my new TA down pipe. The price and the stainless steel ultimately led to my purchase. It's only 2.5", but I will run with the dump open at the track so that didn't matter to me. I will say that I was very impressed with the system. I had a few snags in the install, but it was due to my rear suspension being "customized" and not the exhaust system. I ended up having to dump the exhaust off of the mufflers and not use the tailpipes because my rear end sits too far forward in the car (see pic). CJH and I couldn't make it work. I will save the tailpipes for later and may try to have an exhaust shop alter them to fit at a later time. While I was under the car, I also installed an electric cutout. Mark doesn't sell them anymore, so I had to go thru DMH to get one. So here are the pics of my install. On the sound clip, keep in mind 2 things - 1) The car is in my garage and 2) my power steering pump is whining pretty good when I rev it up (next project). I also opened the dump so it gets louder and then back to normal to show the contrast. Hope this helps some of you folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXNRQF1JXQw

Attachments

• 100_1025.JPG
    100_1025.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 828
  • 100_1026.JPG
    100_1026.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 819
  • 100_1027.JPG
    100_1027.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 816
  • 100_1028.JPG
    100_1028.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 826
Other pics

Other pics...

Attachments

• 100_1029.JPG
    100_1029.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 836
  • 100_1030.JPG
    100_1030.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 839
  • 100_1031.JPG
    100_1031.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 833
  • 100_1035.JPG
    100_1035.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 841
Thats what I was talking about in the first post where I said its been "customized". I never really noticed it until we tried to put this exhaust kit on. It looks like someone did some alterations to the rear suspension for some dumbass reason. Because the axle is sitting too far forward, the driver's side tailpipe wouldn't clear it. The passenger side fit in there perfectly though.

Has this car been in a collision previously? That looks seriously wrong.

Bryan

Has this car been in a collision previously? That looks seriously wrong.

Bryan

No. Someone along the way has reworked the rear suspension, and that included cutting some brackets and rewelding them along with some other odd crap. I appreciated the boxed upper and lowers, but not the other stuff.

Anyways, I never intended this tread to be about how my rear axle is messed up. I only put that pic up so that people would see that the pypes kit wouldn't fit correctly on my car because the rear axle is not properly aligned. I am really glad I bought the kit. As you can guess, I would have been really pissed if I spent $700 on a kit from Cottons and it wouldn't have fit either.

Once it warms up some and I have some free time, I'll have a side-by-side comparison with my buddy's GN and figure out what needs to be done to fix this.

WOW that is cheap for a stainless exhaust. I'd like to hear this exhaust without a cat. :D

i've been following this thread for a while and never heard the sound clip, so I just got myself a Cotton's 2 1/2 " SS dual system...more money for sure, but seeing the fitment issues with this system, i'm glad...now I just have to look at the car for a couple months until the snow leaves:(

Just had the pypes SG50R installed at a local shop. I ordered the kit from summmit at 4:30 on tuesday and the box was delivered to my home by 1:00 on wednesday. No extra freight charges or rush delivery. I really was impressed with the quality of the components (stainless). The pieces fit together very well and I only paid for 1 hour of shop time. The manager at the muffler shop liked the kit so much that he wanted information on ordering some pieces to stock in his shop. The sound is good and my throttle response seems to be at little quicker. Of course I 'd imagine most anything is an improvement over a 22 year old stock system.

Did the muffler shop say any cutting was required as most other people that have used this kit said there was a little cutting involved with the tailpipes.

I think they may have cut an inch or so from the forward end of the tailpipe that plugs into the muffler.

Thanks for the reply, Ok, so it seems all these kits seem to need a little modification to the tailpipe pieces that go over the rear axle into the muffler,not too bad .:D