Puzzled

jlbeck

This morning I decided to install my new fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure gauge. To relieve pressure I removed the fuel pump relay and started the engine. I expected it to run for a few seconds and stall. It did not. It ran for 10 minutes and still didn't stall. Thinking I had removed the wrong relay I removed the one adjacent to it and started again. Again the engine did not quit and I had both relays in my pocket. The relay I removed first has the correct part number for the fpr 10038490. After several more minutes I disconnected the connecter between the tank and rear bumper and the engine quit after about 4 seconds. I thought the relay supplied juice to the pump and would expect the fuel pump not to run when the relay is removed. Am I incorrect?

maybe hotwire kit and the relay relocated trace the wire make sure you have the right relay my car will not run without it

I kinda thought the same thing but the car is almost pure stock except for an old chip which I will replace with tt chip when it gets here. The fuel pressure regulator is also stock. I really do not know what to look for to detect a hot wire but the wiring by the tank underneath the car does not appear to have been modified and the wires from the relay just disappear into the harness which also seems not to have been altered.

Your not crazy. There is a oil pressure switch that toggles the fuel pump as well as the relay. Don't know why they did that. Non the less, if you unplug both the relay and the op switch, the fp will not run. The switch is on the motor behind the lower radiator hose.;)