Putting our money where our mouths are - Let's sponsor a unit in Iraq

PCS74

For us political lounge lizards at least.

I saw this idea on another board and I liked it, so I thought it would be good for us as a community to do something as well. I am not really sure how the specifics will work out, but I would like to get the ball rolling and get some ideas. Currently I am thinking along the lines of a good sized care package.

Letters. I would like to get lots of letters of appreciation. These can be easily obtained from your family (children especially), friends, neighbors, co-workers etc. I think handwritten letters would be most thoughtful, but typed out or printed emails would also work.

Drawings from children. Childrens art has a way of making you smile and feel good, something those guys need alot. No war scenes of course, but pictures of soldiers would be fine along with anything else they felt like drawing for our troops.

Reading material. I know they don't have much leisure time, but anything would be appreciated I am sure. Light and small stuff only such as magazines and paperback books. ABSOLUTELY no news papers or magazines which might contain articles that would demean them or their purpose in any way.

Candy. I am sure these guys would love some sweets. It would all have to be non-perishable goods, nothing home baked or that would not survive the trip.

Other goods and necessities. This is where I am unsure and need some advice. What would you propose? I am going to talk to my buddy, who recently returned from Iraq, this weekend and see what he thinks the soldiers would like and need most in this regard.

Shipping. No idea at this point. I don't know if we could have it shipped from a base or if we would have to go third party freight. I am open for suggestions here.

I'll put $200 dollars towards this as a start. I've set aside $100 for care stuff and another $100 for shipping if it's required. If no shipping is required I'll go $200 for care stuff.

Once we get this figured out I don't have a problem doing the work, but I do not want to receive any money other than that for shipping costs if they arise. I would prefer for anyone who want's to participate to send me whatever they want to send, I'll put it all together and get it to where it needs to go.

I have finals in three weeks which will require all of my time. So I will not be able to package and send out anythning until after the 11th, but I have plenty of space to store stuff until that time.

Depending on how the shipping work's out I don't know when they would be likely to receive it, but I am betting it would be after Christmas. Someone else I am sure will know better than I.

Selecting a unit. Need suggestions on how to go about doing it, what some good criteria would be etc.

Ideas?

Chris Skarzenski

This is a fantastic idea.

First let me say this. Although I'm not on the political board that often and I try to stay out of the political tension in there, I think supporting our troops is a fantastic idea. For this reason, I ask that those of you who do not approve of this war or want to have anything to do with it... PLEASE STAY OUT! I would be totally disgusted if someone from this community sent something that in some way spoke out against this war... as some sort of means of protest. This is purely a gesture of kindness.

As for ideas.. I'm know there are members on this board who have been to Iraq/Afganistan and could shed some light on the logistics of sending a care package. (Who to contact, security concerns, time frame, etc)

Unfortunately, your idea came a little on the late side for Christmas. By the time you got everything together and the wheels rolling, I think you would be way to late to make the Christmas shipping deadline. Of course getting a care package at any time is always nice.

Also a consideration... just to put on the table. Not only those in Iraq/Afganistan, but let's not forget those who are recovering in Landstuhl, Germany. The enemy definately doesn't play fair and many of them are in a hospital right now because of it. Something to lift their spirits would be great medicine.

Anyways... thanks for coming up with and presenting this idea. I know some things about international shipping. If there is anything I can do on this end (Germany) please let me know.

Supporting our Troops

I'm currently stationed in Japan and have several of my Marines in Iraq. It's really heartwarming to check the board while in garrison and see the GN community (one of my families) offering to support our troops.
It personally means a lot to me, but the greatest thanks are coming from those who are currently in harms way. They aren't able to be with their loved ones this holiday season, but believe me, they are not complaining. I hear from my Marines from time to time when they're able to shoot me an e-mail, and not once are they complaining about the job or the hardships of being so far away from home. They are more proud of being able to liberate a nation and keep our nation safe from those who challenge our freedoms.
Know that they aren't do it for political agendas, but doing it for one another and those that they love. This Thanksgiving, they will be dining on issued MREs and giving thanks to one another. The brotherhood that has got them this far and will keep them going until they are no longer needed. At which time, they will come home to a grateful nation and to the loving arms of their families and fellows Devil Dogs. My Division will be sending out a care package to our troops within the next few days, if you would like, I would be proud to include your donations to our care package. Let me know what you think. I have a PayPal account to expedite the transfers or I could provide my address to you. Keep in mind the mail takes about two weeks to get me.
Thanks again for the consideration and know that it is greatly appreciated.

Sgt Baker USMC
MAG-36, 1st MAW

Post an address, and I'll get a MO out to you.

Holidays, aren't about dates, there's about the spirit of the event. I doubt anyone receiving a *care package* is going to care about the dates involved.

Any Ground Unit Combat Unit, is all I'd specify. It just seem like the guys at the farthest end of the supply line would have the fewest comforts. The 173Abn is the furthest northward unit I know of off hand (but I'm prejudged in mentioning them). The Infantry co's would under the 503.

But, the Marines, seem to have been having the toughest going lately (injury wise) from what I've read.

Why was this thread moved to the political forum??? It's not political? I think it would get a lot more coverage if it were in there?

If not, can this at least have a sticky in the lounge with a link here? C'mon mods...

It WILL stay in the Lounge too.

Originally posted by gn85
Why was this thread moved to the political forum??? It's not political? I think it would get a lot more coverage if it were in there?

You are absolutely correct Chris, it will stay in the Lounge as well as the PV forum.

This is a GREAT idea and TB.com will support it on the board and with a $$$ donation.

Thanks to them we are able to celebrate the holidays in comfort here and showing our thanks is the least we can do.

:)

If I can be of any assistance Chris let me know.

any soldiers have any suggestions on what items would be appreciated the most?

Alright,

I got some more information but I don't have time to put it all down now so I'll post it later tonight.

Just some brief info. Many of the units get overloaded with care packages so It will be best to spread ours about a little. At this point I am personally leaning towards troops with a combat MOS and those Chris Wren mentioned in Landstuhl, Germany.

I think if we chose one combat MOS unit and the guys at Landstuhl we could do alot for the guys in really tuff situations.

Chris Wren,

Would it be possible for you to find out who I could email there on specifics relating to care packages for those guys?

Grandnat,

Yea, you can help me pack it all up.

Chris Skarzenski

Troops at Landstuhl

I'm stationed at Ramstein AB about 15 min away from Landstuhl.
For those who have never been here, Landstuhl is the main hospital for a large US community over here in Germany. There are about 300,000 of us in this area i think. It's also the hospital the supports most of the troops in the war. It's a very busy place right now.
Most of the troops come in with only the bdu's they are wearing. According to the hospital, new clothes(sweats are nice as it's starting to get pretty cold here), toothbrushes, soap, pens, paper, stamps, calling cards, ect... are the types of items most needed.
If any body is interested in helping I'll give you my APO address and take any items to the hospital. Thanks

I am ready and willing to help our brothers in any way. We owe everything to them, just let me know:)

just an idea....but instead of sending a care package to iraq....why not send it to a unit in afganistan? i only suggest this as most care packages are geared toward iraq these days....no one talks about afganistan anymore...lets not forget them...

I talked to my buddy last night and got a lot of good ideas for things to send. I am going to do some research with some of the soldier support organizations for further ideas and then I will post a formal list tomorrow evening.

I am having a meeting with the principal of my nephews school the week after thanksgiving. I am going to try and get her to let all of the children take a little time out of the day to write thank you letters and draw pictures for the troops. I don't think it should be a problem for them to set aside a little time one day, but if it is then I plan to get a banner donated by a local sign company that all of the children can sign.

I am also going to do the same at another school where my mom works, I should know somethning tuesday on that one.

We will have to pay for shipping. USPS is by far the best and cheapest way to go, and there are rumors that domestic rates are applied to care packages, but I have not verified it yet. From what I have been able to find currently the most we should send to any one address in a single day is 5 separate packages no bigger than approximately 1cu.ft. each, and we should be keep the weight around 10 lbs.

Again, I would prefer not to deal with any money directly other than what is required for shipping purposes. I would like people to get together however much they can, size and amount is not important, just doing something is.

I know some people don't have time to go get goods for the soldiers, wouldn't have time to package or ship them etc. and won't participate if then can not send a donation so I think we should set something up in this regard.

Since I will be doing all of the packaging, shipping, etc. with these funds I would prefer for someone else to receive the funds, account for the total and then send them to me. Then I can go get stuff for our troops, pay for shipping and publish the cost totals to the board. It's a CYA for everyone.

I think the first thing we should do is come to a concensus on who and where we are going to send this stuff to. I am pretty sure we can come up with enough goods to send to two groups, if not we can finalize between the most preferred later.

My personal preference are Landstuhl, Germany AND any unit with a combat MOS.

Let me who you guys want to send to.

Chris , checking your PM now.

Brian, I will PM you shortly.

Chris Skarzenski

The other day I spoke to the parents of a guy I know that is in the Marines in Iraq. The indicated two things that seem to be most sought after, especially by combat units on the front lines.

The first was beef jerky, or anything that can be easily carried on their person and will stay good for a long time no matter what the conditions.

The second was cigarettes (specifically Malboro lights). While I don't personally like smoking, it can be a great comfort and luxury for those troops that do. Also, for those that don't smoke, Malboro Lights are as good as gold for trading purposes.

Another thing I just remembered is candy. While this isn't specifically for the troops, they like to have candy on hand to give to children that they see along the way. A small gesture of goodwill from our troops to the children to indicate that we are the good guys and are their to help.

Chris, Brian,

PM sent.

84GNTTYPE,

Beef jerkey is the absolute #1 item from what I understand. My buddy said he would pay up to $4 for a good piece of jerkey.

We need to find a unit to send to in Iraq. Is you buddy in a combat unit, and if so could you find out where and how we could get stuff to them so we can start making a list of units to choose from.

Thanks,

Chris S

Why not do a boat?

It always seems like the ground troops and Aircraft Carriers get all the attention. Why don't we sponsor a submarine?

When we go underway we get a lot less news from home. It'd be nice to pull into a port and get a care package.