Put in shift kit, shifts too early now

rob350

I decided to put in a CK performance shift kit in my trans because I wanted it to shift firmer. I just had the trans rebuilt last spring and also had a super servo put in it. It shifted great with the old hot air motor, but it kind of turned mushy at WOT with the new intercooled motor. It shifted around 4900-5000 RPMS before the shift kit and now it shifts around 4000 RPMS. I triple checked my TV cable and its set correct. I did put a new spring in the governor that came with the shift kit, would that have anything to do with shift points? The trans shifts awesome now, but just too early. I was reading about taking weight of the governor, but I’m not sure if this is the correct way to fix it. Why would it shift at the right RPM before the shift kit and not now? Sorry, I’m kind of new to this. Thanks.

Since the spring governs the shift point with the fly-weights, I would say there's your problem. I would put the other one back in. A shift kit isn't supposed to change shift points, just application.

Another thing to check is the TV valve spring. It might have come loose from the cable.