Pushrod Length and lifter preload help!

badgrandntl

I have a few questions when I adjust my adjustable pushrod checker to zero lash how tight do I make them,( I am doing this which each cylinder at TDC) I heard I tighten it till I can't spin the pushrod? Is that correct? The reason I ask is I adjusted the pushrod to zero and took it out and added .035 to the length and just wanted to check the preload on the lifter itself and it was nothing. So should I go off lifter preload or just length of pushrod at zero and then add .035? I have a stock cam with stock lifters. If I haven't run the engine for 4 months will the lifters have lost their prime? I just wanted to find out because the preload right now on my lifters is around .125. Thats probably why the car lacked power. Last question is once lifter travels over the lobe on the cam its the same until it starts to go back up it correct?

Thanks so much for your help. I'd be so lost sometimes with out this forum.

Your very close with it the way your doing it but I tighten them until I can just spin the rod between my fingers with some tension on it. There is a post maybe 1 year ago stating which ones to do when on TDC & then spin the crank one turn & set the rest. As for lifters prime is gone. I would soak in laquer thinner a few days compressing them a few times in it then dry & put assembly lube on the bottoms & oil on the side when you install them.

Thanks for the help, I found that post and am using it. Is it bad that the prime is gone when trying to check preload? Also because I had way too much preload like .130 should I be worried about my lifters. I had some awful ticking on the passenger side. Thats why I pulled the intake and am looking atpreload. I was gonna get new pushrods and new lifters. Is that a good idea? What am I looking for when I remove the lifters to determine if they are good or bad. Thanks Scott

Thanks for the help.

lifters

Put a straight edge, such as a blade out of a utility knife, across the base of lifter. If it still has a crown, IMO I would still use it, if flat or cuped, don't use.

I never spin the pushrod to find zero lash...you can have preload on the lifter and still spin it...I check for up/down movement...when I can't move it up or down...it's at zero lash...