Push rod lenght

FASTV6HENRY

Ok, so I have the noisy Comp Cam 853 lifters with the recommended 8.200 push rods that go with the Hydraulic 212/212 cam. I recently purchased there push rod length checker. Today I checked it on the base circle (for no up/down slack) and it ended up showing 8.225 length. My question is would the .025 make the difference on the noise due to lifter losing its pump. And should I order a 8.250 giving me an extra .025 for pre-load.
Thanks for your help

Do you have roller rockers? If so you can adjust the extra there.
How old are the lifters....cc lifters tend to have some crud in them and should be cleaned before install. IMO a roller engine is gonna have the sewing machine sound. I have motels and went deep on preload and it laid over above 4800 took preload out to low end setting that morel states...IIRC around .025 ish and she pulls essay better now...clean to 6000 and the clickity sound was the same for both settings.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The motor has stock rocker arms for now so the only way to adjust pre-load is by pushrod length. I bought the lifters back in November and soaked them in lacquer thinner for about three days and did notice a lot of crap that came out. I also soaked them in oil before install. But I am just not sure if the .025 difference is going to help in the noise

After soaking the lifters a pushrod or equiv should be used to plunger the lifter while submerged in the solvent and that cleans out the crud. You will almost everytime see crud coming out.
What's your oil psi?

After soaking the lifters a pushrod or equiv should be used to plunger the lifter while submerged in the solvent and that cleans out the crud. You will almost everytime see crud coming out.
What's your oil psi?

Oil is at 20psi hot idle. I actually did plunge the lifters with old push rods and your right it had a lot of crud in it. I continued to plunge and spray with carb cleaner until nothing else was coming out.

I just hope the sound that the lifter is making is not slamming down on the cam due to improper preload

With the figures you have up there's no worry with that...I reread your post and you could use a longer pushrod for preload right now you have slop. So you could order the size mentioned and be good IMO.

With the figures you have up there's no worry with that...I reread your post and you could use a longer pushrod for preload right now you have slop. So you could order the size mentioned and be good IMO.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app[/quote

Thanks Turbo Nasty.. I will order a 8.250 push rod and see if that helps. This valve train noise is also giving me false knock on my Fast XFI so I hope it helps..

The question is: How much lifter preload do you have now? That will tell you how much longer you need to go. Those lifters like about .050 if you want them quiet. Most of the noise comes form guys running not enough preload

The question is: How much lifter preload do you have now? That will tell you how much longer you need to go. Those lifters like about .050 if you want them quiet. Most of the noise comes form guys running not enough preload

I had a small amount of up/down movement with the 8.200 push rod on the base circle. That could be part of the problem I figured it was sold with the cam and lifters as kit (stupid me for not checking I know better). However, I checked it yesterday with a comp checker and it was 8.225 with no up/down slack that's no pre-load. So are you saying I need a 8.275 length pushrods so it will give me that extra .050 pre-load? Or will the 8.250 be ok with just .025 pre-load will it make a lot of difference? Thanks

You need the 8.275 for sure I can get them in one day if your interested. You had .025 lash? that thing must have been crazy noisy :confused: I have seen that properly set up the comps are not much different than the Morel noise wise
Mike

Let us know if things quite down, you gain vac at idle and how it revs with the longer pushrods.