Purple Starter Wire Question........

Vader 87

Licensed
Does the purple wire going to the starter have a fusible link anywhere? I dont know what else to try, i have replaced the ignition switch and then i saw power to the purple wire at the starter....i then put everything back together and thye car still wont start....the purple wire has power at the ignition switch when i turn the key but not at the starter....any ideas?

TIA!

Not sure about the TR in particular but.....

.....many cars have a neutral safety switch, if the TR has one it will most likely be attached to the shifter. It has to have some kind of switch so that the puter will know what gear you're in. I'd check there 1st. If you find a pair of purple wires there, you may have found your problem. :cool:

Check for the Anti-Theft system option on the car.

If you have a purple/wht. stripe wire at the ign. switch it has the option.

If the wire is solid purple at the switch it doesn't have that option.

The wire also must pass through the C100 connector under the wiper motor position E4 on the connector.

You might try wiggling the connector or reseating it securely and look for +12 on the purple wire at the starter after that test.

There is no fuse or fusible link on that wire after the IGN switch.

Ok i now have power at the wire. The wire coming from my ignition switch is purple and white so i guess i have the anti theft on it.....However, i think i may have a cheap ignition switch or something b/c every now and then the switch doesn't want to kick in. About every 7th or 8th time i start it, it goes dead again. The switch is from advance auto, the equivalent of the delco since they were out of the delco unit. I think the brand name is GP Sorenson.

As Rickracer said, check your neutral safety switch.

Try this next time it won't start:

With the key in the start position, jog the shift lever back and forth between reverse and back to park without letting go of the key, (foot on brake of course).

You can also turn the collar on the steering column below the steering wheel since I think it rotates when you shift into park from drive. Try turning it further into the "shifted into park" position.

If the starter kicks, it could be that there is some slop in the mechanism that moves the safety switch fully to the start position when you shift into park. It is located at the base of the steering column and a bit of a bitch to get to & adjust.

Also try starting in neutral and/or shifting in & out of neutral to drive to see if the starter kicks.

Adjusting this switch solved my problem.

Originally posted by GN Bob
As Rickracer said, check your neutral safety switch.

Try this next time it won't start:

With the key in the start position, jog the shift lever back and forth between reverse and back to park without letting go of the key, (foot on brake of course).

You can also turn the collar on the steering column below the steering wheel since I think it rotates when you shift into park from drive. Try turning it further into the "shifted into park" position.

If the starter kicks, it could be that there is some slop in the mechanism that moves the safety switch fully to the start position when you shift into park. It is located at the base of the steering column and a bit of a bitch to get to & adjust.

Also try starting in neutral and/or shifting in & out of neutral to drive to see if the starter kicks.

Adjusting this switch solved my problem.

Ok i'll try that thanks!!!

JM