Pump Modifications

Clay Thompson

What modifications should be done to a 200R4 pump to improve performance and reliabilty?

Is there an advantage to 13-vane rotor?

Is it really worth the time and expense to change from a 7- to 10-vane rotor?

Is there any way to visibly identify hardened pump rings?

How do you get Teflon pump bushing to stay in place and is this the same part that is used in the 700R4?

Wear marks on my pump rotors indicate that the torque converter lugs only reached about half way into the rotor. Should I install three identical thick washers to get full engagement between the torque converter hub and the rotor?

well i can answer 1.. a 10 vane should do ya for what ever :D

What modifications should be done to a 200R4 pump to improve performance and reliabilty?

Is there an advantage to 13-vane rotor?

10 vane is more than enough

Is it really worth the time and expense to change from a 7- to 10-vane rotor?

Yes

Is there any way to visibly identify hardened pump rings?

they llook different in color. Like chrome kinda, but after they been run it can be hard. Why not for 12, or 18 bucks put new in anyway?

How do you get Teflon pump bushing to stay in place and is this the same part that is used in the 700R4?

Yes same as 700, part # 61008t and depends on what year pump.............. 690 casting you red loctite and forget. 082 pump is a little more trickey. You or we mill three "pockets" and stake bushing from pump cavity side. then red loctite and relieve front seal area and install seal with red loctite.

Wear marks on my pump rotors indicate that the torque converter lugs only reached about half way into the rotor. Should I install three identical thick washers to get full engagement between the torque converter hub and the rotor?

That can be normal and if the converter is RIGHT you should not need to.:)

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

I see allot of people who want the 13 vane pump update but in my opinion the only advantage is that if you have wear in the pump slide and/or vanes, it is good to install new parts for better pressure hot. With that in mind, again, IMO, even the seven vane pump is fine if all is OK. What really matters is the pump clearance (you only get one choice when you arder the 13 vane kit but from the dealer there are a bunch since they are selective-food for thought). When you get your tranny hot, the oil thins out and any leaks start to show up. Tight pump clearances allow for proper pressure and flow even when hot under load which is when you need it. Now another area that people aren't always aware of is that the pump can lose pressure under high RPM use since the pump slide starts to recenter due to centrical forces. Along with tight pump clearances I like to use the TransGo High Rev Pump Ring kit. It has a much sturdier pair of pump rings than the normal black rings (SPX) but it also has a beefy priming spring that resists the oil forces and keeps pressure up even when hot.