Pump area leak Troubleshooting tips/tricks?

tomard

80 Vette with a 4BQ
I dropped the tranny today, so see if I could find leak that is dripping down from bellhousing area, so I suspected either a front seal or the pump housing (large o-ring that goes around entire pump) ......

But after pulling the TC, I got fluid from TC all over and it will not LEAK until I have filled & run it for a few minutes ..... THEN it starts dripping .....

So my question is, now that my beloved 2004r is sitting on garage floor (actually on my floor jack in tranny tunnel under car - too high still to get out and I don't want to put it on floor and pull it out unless I have to), any tricks that I can try to get it to leak????? I have a spare front shaft seal, but would HATE to put it back into car and find it dripping from around pump!!! WHAT is that large oring called anyway? So I can get one somewhere should I need it!

Update

I don't see where it is leaking from, but I do have a slight drip from inbetween the stator and the input shaft - IS THAT NORMAL, or is that my culprit???

The stator is in the converter. It cant really leak. The front oil seal could be the problem or it could be the pump o-ring or leaking through the bolt threads that retain the pump assembly. Ive seen a lot of leeks that were nit coming from the pump but from the gasket, tv boot, or the vent.

How would you (a pro) go about finding the source, with tranny out of car?

I had a little trouble getting the upgraded TV valve into pump, but finally got it in .... I did not notice any issues, cracks etc, but who knows what I hosed up .... or maybe still just a gasket/seal issue .....

How would you (a pro) go about finding the source, with tranny out of car?

I had a little trouble getting the upgraded TV valve into pump, but finally got it in .... I did not notice any issues, cracks etc, but who knows what I hosed up .... or maybe still just a gasket/seal issue .....

Before i pulled it i would have removed the inspection cover, started it and rinsed it with brake parts cleaner as i watched for a source. You could have a friend disconnect the TV cable and pull to max TV to see if its more pressure related. Its easy enough to reseal it on the bench now. Pull the pan, remove the LU solenoid and pump bolts. Then pull the assembly out and use a new o-ring. Use a small amount of rtv under the washers when re-installing

I dropped the tranny today, so see if I could find leak that is dripping down from bellhousing area, so I suspected either a front seal or the pump housing (large o-ring that goes around entire pump) ......

But after pulling the TC, I got fluid from TC all over and it will not LEAK until I have filled & run it for a few minutes ..... THEN it starts dripping .....

So my question is, now that my beloved 2004r is sitting on garage floor (actually on my floor jack in tranny tunnel under car - too high still to get out and I don't want to put it on floor and pull it out unless I have to), any tricks that I can try to get it to leak????? I have a spare front shaft seal, but would HATE to put it back into car and find it dripping from around pump!!! WHAT is that large oring called anyway? So I can get one somewhere should I need it!

Could be a leak from the converter neck (crack).