Pulled trans, couple of questions

Bigjsn250

ZR1, 87GN and 86 T Type, life is good
So I got the trans out this weekend. The first thing I noticed is how damn heavy the deep pan is! I threw it on the scale 22lbs, is this normal? Then there's the home made pick up tube, please see pics. Is there not an an after market p/u tube for these deep pans?
There's no magnet but quit a bit of material on bottom of pan (6 months since rebuild, not a lot of miles, fluid looked and smelled great car has ext trans cooler.
Lastly, what mods on inside the trans can I verify with the pan off? It's supposed to have a billet forward drum, rollerized center support, 3 clutch OD pack, 13 vane pump, Hardened stator shaft, billet servo, alto red clutches etc.

Attachments

• pics and vids 1181.jpg
    pics and vids 1181.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 230
  • pics and vids 1184.jpg
    pics and vids 1184.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 234
  • pics and vids 1186.jpg
    pics and vids 1186.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 213
  • pics and vids 1190.jpg
    pics and vids 1190.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 224
  • pics and vids 1192.jpg
    pics and vids 1192.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 226
Wow...a copper pick up tube!

Looks like a 13 vane pump.

Stock converter has "D5" stamped on it.

After a build there will be more material than usual in the pan. I changed mine after 1000 miles as was requested by my builder.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That part number on the pump is for 85-86 7 vane? Or 10 can't remember. Chris at CK or Dave will know for sure.

Wow...a copper pick up tube!

Looks like a 13 vane pump.

Stock converter has "D5" stamped on it.

After a build there will be more material than usual in the pan. I changed mine after 1000 miles as was requested by my builder.

So the pump is correct (as advertised), that's good. I doubt the fluid was changed after the rebuild, so that's good also.

I was just reading over at CK's and his deep pan says "soon to be copper" for pick up tube, so I guess that's ok also.

I've just never seen one. Probably been using them for years for all I know.

The vane ring is behind that cover as far as I can see on the diagrams and the cover itself is not indicative of how many there are. The cover is correct though.

Very interesting - - - I've never seen a pan like that for sale , even on " Flea Bay ". The later model pumps have a step cut into them that keeps the pump bushing being pushed out . :)

I'll take some pics of the pan tomorrow. I've got a stage right trans brake coming, figured might as well do what I can while I have it out. Thinking of doing an SFI flex plate also.

I guess I'm blind as I don't see a pic of a pan. Looks to have a billet servo. As posted above, you have to split the pump to see what's in it. Lots of disassembly to get to the billet forward. That looks to be a "first gen" bottom feeder. It gets the filter down n back so it doesn't get uncovered.
If its shifting well I wouldn't do too much to it.

Some more pics

Attachments

• pics and vids 1204.jpg
    pics and vids 1204.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 127
  • pics and vids 1205.jpg
    pics and vids 1205.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 125
  • pics and vids 1206.jpg
    pics and vids 1206.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 124