pulled intake for lifter tick

GN-231

Had to pull the intake for peice of mind, I have gone about 1,200 miles on a comp camps ductile roller and was tired of hearing the slight off idle tick. It is a tick that is most noticable when coasting to idle or slightly off idle, but I can hear it in the car if the radio is not on. I know the comp lifters are louder than the OEM stuff, but with a stethoscope is was obvious that on set of lifters on the front passenger cylinder (#2?) was noticably louder than all the others.
I am planning on sending the lifter set back to comp cams for inspection. I think I may of originally ran too much preload on the lifters for about 1000 miles. I think I had about 0.080" for the first 1000 miles, but now I have been running .030", I would sure think the lifter plungers would be able to accommodate the higher preload without damage? Anyone else have loud comp ductile roller lifters that you can hear easily in the car? I think every clyinder bank should sound the same during operation?

I called comp cams today about the lifter situation and I am kind of pissed about their response. I was running around .070" to 0.080" preload on the lifters because that is what one of there phone techicans recommended to me about six months ago when I specifically inquired about the proper preload for a hydralic roller. Although today, the phone rep said that is way too much and it should be 0.030" to 0.040". They wouldn't refund or send out any new parts. I can understand if the first rep gave me bad info, but I would expect the new phone rep to realize it was Comp Cam's recommendation that ruined the lifter in the first place. Maybe I should call back and complain to a manager instead of having to put down a few hundred dollars for all new lifters? :mad:

They are usually prics to deal with but id get on the phone & waste there time till you get what you want..Im sure they have a 1-800 number..even if its for something else id call it & then ask for tech..most of the techs are dumbazzes..they built one 350 & they are now a cam tech..Ive seen these type people downtown nashville that go to the auto diesel college..you cant tell them anything..they already know it all..
Brian

beating a dead horse

I don't have an answer for you--I have been through the same thing (with Comp). It is always the customers fault no one ever makes a bad product. If you should get anything out of them, be prepared to pay all shipping cost (both ways). Their 1-800 number is a waste of time--assuming you could actually get someone on the other end. Good luck.

Sorry to hear that and I hope that everything gets straightened out to your satisfaction

Comp Cams, change them every other time you change your oil. WTF..mine is going on me after about 10 k miles.

besides the damage, do you have a name of someone you spoke to? ( in other words, do you have proof???)

If you can prove that they gave you bad advice and you relied on it you could probably sue them in small claims court. You Will win because thay are not about to spend $5k+ to bother with your little problem. It's easier to pay you what you want and make you go away...

The legal system is there to help you.

I called comp back yesterday and complained again. I still don't feel good about the resolution so I will be writting them a letter. I got a new set of lifters for about 320 and free shipping, this seemed to be the most they would budge on getting me any discount.
I wish I had the name of the tech and date of the phone call who told me 0.070 to 0.080" preload, then I would of thrown that in there face and probably gotten somewhere. I need to start keeping records of this kind of stuff in the future. I sure thought that was weird to have so much more preload than a flat tappet when the rep told me to use that much preload. That is like added 1mm of extra preload and who knows how much extra stoke is built into the lifter.

I will let everyone know if the new lifters fix the ticking...stay tuned.

I bet you are right about a small claims case, they would rather just pay it off than deal with it.