PTC Lockup Problems

BenPutnam

I have a PTC 3500ish lockup that isn't really locking anymore, if I turn on the lock switch and push on it the least little bit on the highway it will slip. My question is could it be anything other than the converter?

I have a PTC 3500ish lockup that isn't really locking anymore, if I turn on the lock switch and push on it the least little bit on the highway it will slip. My question is could it be anything other than the converter?

That doesn't sound good how old is it? Where you locking it at WOT?

If you've been locking it at WOT it's probably toasted the clutch and/or the piston. They are designed for lock-up at cruise only.

It's a couple months old, I'm sure the computer has locked it at WOT, I just hooked up that wire I can ground to make it lock last week to troubleshoot. I don't think the transmission is slipping because it takes such a little amount of power to make the converter slip and I can stand on it with the converter unlocked and the transmission does not seem to slip.

That would have been nice to know. :)

I don't know anything about my chip, my car backfires when I get into the 18-23lbs of boost range and I've been thinking about getting a different chip anyway just to rule it out as the problem. I know it wil lock up when I'm doing more than "cruising" but I've never noticed at WOT, probably because I'm paying so close attention to my gauges and scan master troubleshooting the backfiring problem.

I'll send it back and have it fixed...and warn everyone else around here about the WOT lockup. I know at least 2 other people that just got one.

Who did you buy it from? None of the single disc converters are sold with the intention of being locked at WOT. If a customer intends to lock at WOT the vendor will always direct you to the only 2 converters on the market designed for WOT locking.....The multi-disc vigilante and the 9x11. It's also been discussed here on the board many times that they will not take WOT lock-ups.

The 9x11 is made by a couple vendors. The 9x11 from PTS seems to work better than others. The only other converter for WOT locking is the multi disk Vigilante which uses multiple disk to handle the shock of WOT locks.

Most chips do not have WOT lock-up unless the customer asks for it to be in the chip. You'll need to get with your chip maker to see what it has. If you plan to continue WOT locks you'll need a converter built for that.

I don't need the WOT locks, I'll send it back and have it fixed then wire up a switch to keep it from locking when I'm horsing around. I think I'm going to have another chip made and when I do I'll make sure it does not lock at WOT.

Ya single disc converters don't like locking at WOT, not for long anyway....lol I wore out 2 kevlar clutches and broke 2 forward drums before I gave my head a shake and called Dusty for a PTC 9.5 N/L. (Love it!)
One other item to check would be to see if your brake switch is adjusted properly, maybe the tcc solenoid is losing the 12 volt feed. Just a thought...:)

Ya single disc converters don't like locking at WOT, not for long anyway....lol I wore out 2 kevlar clutches and broke 2 forward drums before I gave my head a shake and called Dusty for a PTC 9.5 N/L. (Love it!)
One other item to check would be to see if your brake switch is adjusted properly, maybe the tcc solenoid is losing the 12 volt feed. Just a thought...:)

Like he said. There are other issues that can cause problems with lock-up converters if the tranny isn't working properly. If your not locking it at WOT you most likely have another issue. Could be a bad lock-up valve or switch. I've had a couple customers with brand new tranny's that had lock-up issues. With the wiring and all that's associated with lock-up converters and the cars being the age they are, it can be several issues causing your problem.