Pt8847

kcalvin

Can anyone tell me the spool up difference between a PT88 and PT8847 on a S2 Headed 274 ? I am trying to pick new turbo for my build. Any info would be appreciated.

Can anyone tell me the spool up difference between a PT88 and PT8847 on a S2 Headed 274 ? I am trying to pick new turbo for my build. Any info would be appreciated.

Do you know Brian Burnside?

Out of the two turbos you are suggesting I would go with the GT47 for sure.
However you may also look into the Billet Precision Wheels when you get a chance.

The PT4788 will spool faster than the older PT88. The billet wheel will not work with the H-cover compressor cover you would have to get the larger GT4788 compressor cover.

The PT4788 will spool faster than the older PT88. The billet wheel will not work with the H-cover compressor cover you would have to get the larger GT4788 compressor cover.

Thanks Chris, I hope you are doing well, I have not heard much
from you in ages!

Chris,
Does the PT8847 spool faster due to weight and number of blades on the gt47wheel vs. the older Pt88 series wheel?

Chris,
Does the PT8847 spool faster due to weight and number of blades on the gt47wheel vs. the older Pt88 series wheel?

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the 47/88 is a completely new design that was a performance design from the start. The older PTE88 was based on a 1979 Detroit diesel truck turbo that was adapted to work in a performance application. I actually think the turbine wheel in the 47/88 is smaller than the older PT88.

We ran the older PTE88 for a long time and went 8.70's with it so it is not a bad turbo. The newer turbo made WELL over 100rwhp more on my car on a back to back comparison on the chassis dyno and without any real tuning.