Propane + carb

bakerlaw67

BQQSTED
Let me start by saying that the applications mentioned by BullyDog have NOTHING to do with TRs. Furthermore, since it deals with propane, this MAY be the wrong forum, but I wanted to ask the "experts" before I got the "Carb? Go ask in BeforeBlack!" or "You are stupid! Alky is the bliggity blam shiznit and any body who disagrees must be a moron who wants to die!"

That being said, I was watching "Trucks" on SpikeTV and they had a segment about improving the performance of a Duramax diesel. Essentially, they added a BullyDog regulator which taps into the heater hoses to insure vaporization of the propane. The nozzle is actually threaded into a plastic elbow in the flexible intake tube before the intake manifold. I can't remember how much the HP jump is but I seem to recall something like 80 hp.

So here's the question. Can propane be introduced BEFORE the carb? I understand that diesels are completely different, but if ether can make it through, why not propane?

Tech article on adding propane to a turbo diesel

Bullydog's HORRIBLE website

Well mine is injected before the throttle body, does that count?

Yes it can and works great on turbo gas cars. Check out the Alky, Nitrous, Propane section on this board for more info.

You may find Alky more benificial since you aren't intercooled and propane doesn't really cool the incoming air, but propane would still help on a carb'd turbo car.

JMHO

Originally posted by 1badTTA
You may find Alky more benificial since you aren't intercooled and propane doesn't really cool the incoming air, but propane would still help on a carb'd turbo car.

JMHO

I think that we would see some cooling affect more than a IC, propane comes out @ -60 degs....

here is i old thread about this with same web sites..hey 1badTTA you where there too.

You're going to have to look at the pros and cons of both. B4Black is running 15 psi boost on a stock turbo with a home built akly, FC227 is running 20 or 22 with a hogged out turbo and alky.
I'm running 13 with no alky.

Jim

Well propane may come out that cold, but the volume isn't enough to cool the incoming air nearly as much as alky does by evaporating.

Think about how much 1 ice cube would cool off the backyard pool, yea its cold, but not enough of it.

I am personally gonna try running both eventually to see what happens. Propane for its added fueling and octane adn Alky for its cooling effects. Should be able to run smaller amounts of both than most people do of just one and have some serious fun on these stock parts.

Go for the Alky if you aren't gonna run an intercooler (not likely on a carb'd turbo unless you convert to blowthrough)

It just struck me as a little simpler to add propane, or at least the way I saw it on the show. Hell, it was a regulator, a switch and a nozzle that was just stuck into the intake tube. I also thought it might be simpler to ease into. That is, start out with a little, check for effects, open the valve some more, check it out, repeat.

I've got a long way to go before I am ready to try it, but I like to have an idea (pro/con) before I get into it. I'm not looking for too much of a jump in HP or ET here, just a little tweak to goose this old brick.

Thanks tons guys.

Incidentally, the show I saw added propane AND nitrous to a Chevy Duramax diesel and saw over 450 hp!