Project 4.1 hits the track in BG 2013

Mike Licht

I was here first
It was a lot of work to put a car together in a few weeks like we did and I swore I would never build another one of these like this one, but we did, and we sure are happy. The stock block 4.1 motor started out as an exercise to test the new 4.1 pistons and we had to put it in something right? The build details are here http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/4-1-stock-block-build.396792/ on Friday at the Nats I decided to take it for a shake down pass. I have about 80 miles or so on it and have never raced this car so I wanted to go easy. Set the boost at 17. The plan was to leave easy go to mid track and shut it off see if it goes straight and stops. Did a burnout and got the 10 year old comp T/A drag radials hot and left when the boost gauge barely started to move, leaves good, 1.7 sixty foot, gets out about 70 to 80 ft and the tires go up in smoke, back off to half throttle pull second (400 trans, PTC converter) get back down on it, second pulled good, put it in third at 6300 and it felt real good so I stayed on it. I got the slip and was pleasantly surprised to see 11.37 at 125.7 MPH it pick up 26 in the back half. Needless to say the little engine is making good power at 17PSI. I got a set of slicks and planed to put them on Saturday at turn it up to 26-28 but the rain stopped the fun. My friend Dick Walker from OK said me when I told him I was going to crank it up " go ahead Mike, it does not know its not a stage motor" that cracked me up! I was looking for a 9 sec slip from the car will I think I will be pretty easy. All in all I could not be happier! We had lot so help and support from friends here and I want to acknowledge some of them, My old friend Bob Bailey and newer friend Eric Marshall both shared wisdom and great parts with me like the TR6, SD2 and powerlogger. Tom at Champion for the iron heads, ported intake and other items, Lane at PTC for the awesome converter, Racetronix for the fuel system and wiring solutions, Matt at PAC for helping me sort out the valve train with their new parts, Morel for the new short travel lifter they made for us, they flat work! Diamond Pistons and Trend pushrod for engine parts I trust, GN1 performance for lots of things but the intercooler especially, my air temps were crazy low, Tom Molnar for the connecting rods. My son Steve who built this car with me and spent the time, late nights and energy to get it right. My good friend and master fabricator Curt Smith for all the late nights and time spent doing assembly and fab work. Mike and Dave Bamford for giving me some of the parts from the car I bought new in 86 for this one so a little bit of the original lives on. My friends Scott, Derrick and Tony for helping me find the little pieces I was missing sometimes reaching into their own stash to help out. Scott even loaned me his TT6.0 chip to get the car started which I ran there when I ran out of time for the SD2. Most of all however I need to thank my lovely wife Marianne, she provided the support and the budget for this project. She also inspired Steve and I to do something different and new so at her urging we have a new parts program that will be track proven with this new shop car. Without her this would have happened. We made lots of new friends, reconnected with old ones and even though the weather was not great we had a blast, see you next year, we will have the "Shop Car" there, who knows what will be in it or what it will be running but you will read about it here. Steve Kessler did hand me some XTSM stickers on the way out, holy hell!, what will I have to tell Marianne to pull that off? The saga continues soon.......
Regards,
Mike

Mike, it was great seeing you at the Nats again. Oh, and thanks for the help. Dad had a great time, & got to make passes in his car again for the first time in 4 yrs. I will be following the progress of the "Shop car".

Brandon

It was great to meet so many new friends and reconnect with the old, Brandon seeing you and your dad again was great for me too. I have known your dad for a long time, you are good people.

Congrats Mike.........keep us posted.

What did the large contingent who attended the nats from the UN think of your car??

PM sent.

They were impressed we have a couple motors going overseas just like the one in the car. need to get to work on them.

PM Reply Sent!

They were impressed we have a couple motors going overseas just like the one in the car. need to get to work on them.

PM Reply Sent!

That's good to hear Mike........I am sure the Bowling Green tourist committee will be happy to hear that thru the UN contingent in attendance has spurred economic growth with them purchasing your goods and services.

Of course once they get back to their respected countries, after clearing customs of course they will tell others and I am sure next years UN contingent to the nats will be bigger and better.

PM reply sent back!!

Mike, do you happen to have any updates on the car? I really enjoyed the 4.1 write up and this post as well. Were you able to make any more passes? I would love to know what that thing can do with big boost!!

when we got back form BG everything was closed here and winter was starting actually we have not started or touched it since I just got fresh plugs for it and we are making a couple minor tweaks next week so we can take it to the track very soon. We have some slicks for it too. Thanks for asking we are looking forward to running it at 30PSI.