Progressive insurance - tell me the good and the bad

ez at nova

I hate rice
I've had Nationwide since I got my license at 16. I'm 25 now, married, clean record. For some reason I thought I'd check around for lower rates since my Nationwide hasn't dropped my rate since I bought my 02 WRX when I was 22. Progressive is coming in much cheaper, around $640/6 mos for my WRX and Liberty together vs $850 6/mos for those two cars with Nationwide. My Grand National is on a seperate policy, so it's not a factor here. Geico is in the middle at around $750. I will say this, Progressive's new website with its help/details/etc is EXTREMELY impressive...one of the best I've ever used as far as customer service and quality. Anyway, this Progressive rate seems pretty darn good... it factors out to around $350/6 mos for just my WRX (considering the multi-car discount) and that's with full coverage and 100/300k coverage. Also impressive was the fact that I added a 2005 C6 vette in the quote as a pleasure driving vehicle and it was only $70 a month more. This will likely be more like $60 a month when I'm 27/28 and ready to buy one. Not bad!

progressive

I've had progressive for a few years now and have no complaints at all. I have a '87 turbo-t and they have it listed as a regular old regal. I told them it wasn't, but they didn't want to hear it. I gave them the vin and everything, asked if I could insure it for more, but they gave me this line about an adjuster would have to come out to determine the market value. I figure they will have to do this anyways if it ever gets stolen or wrecked. I went form having basic liability on a '93 explorer sport to full coverage on my '87 regal and it was only $36 more a year! Got to love that! So in short, I'd say go for it... -Gabe

Re: progressive

Originally posted by Zurn
I have a '87 turbo-t and they have it listed as a regular old regal. I told them it wasn't, but they didn't want to hear it. I gave them the vin and everything, asked if I could insure it for more, but they gave me this line about an adjuster would have to come out to determine the market value. I figure they will have to do this anyways if it ever gets stolen or wrecked.

Not to alarm you... well, maybe you should be alarmed... but the odds are high that if your car is wrecked or stolen you will receive the value of a regular old Regal. Why? Because that is all you are paying for.

I might be wrong, but I've seen it happen exactly that way before.

ET NOVA: I have had progressive for about 8 years. AAA offers progressive too.
With one accident on my wifes mini van they were pretty good because the guy that hit her was a MASSHOLE from Massachusetts.
He would not report the accident to his company cause he suked as a driver & had lots of accidents.
So on the horn I got to progressive, they were more than happy to help get the claim going. They called around to help us find a shop that was not overwhelmed with work at the time. That was nice but always go to the shop you want.

First year I owned my GN I put it on my progressive policy as everyday driver $15k value it was $630 a full year. That was stupid cause the car sits for the 6 months of winter.

ZURN The VIN tells them what it is. Depending on the REP you talk too. You have to have them look under a special category for our cars.

I had the same problem. They looked under plane Jane regal & when I explained look under T-Type she went OH HO those cars are worth that much. A-Yup I said. Wanna come for a ride cutie :D

Now since i don't drive the GN daily I go with GRUMPY insurance $240 for the year. I keep it insured even though it sits for 6 months.

Despite my recent anger with them over a claim I was forced to make I still have to say that they seem like a good company. Working for Allstate, as I do, I can also tell you that Allstate considers ALL Progressive to be 'prior standard' meaning that you'd get a better rate if you switched to Allstate after one year....this would likely be the way it is with many other companies. FWIW

My dad has his GN insured for $20k with Hagerty, a collector car insurance company, to make sure that if something happens to it he won't get the blue book price for a Regal.
Zurn, if you wanna gimme you're VIN I'll look it up; I work for an insurance company. I have a book of vehicle symbols that lists every make and model and what kind of risk exposure is assigned to each.TR's are "high exposure, not acceptable," the worst category. Kind of a compliment really, my Z28 is only "high exposure." ;)
I just looked up 1987 Regals in the book and the only way a turbo Regal is going to be confused with a NA Regal is if it's a GNX; they have similar VIN's to a NA Regal with an A or a Y in the 8th place. All the other turbos have a 7 in the 8th place.

not my fault...

I had the rep double check for me after I gave her the vin. I told her it was the same as a GN, gave her the vin one more time and she told me it didn't come up as anything special. I told her it was one of only 1500 made and it was special, but she told me it was just a regular regal. I'm not going to be the one who is sorry if they ever have to fix it or replace it because they made a mistake. I even asked if I could insure it for $7,500 and she said yes, but then she told me that if I had a claim they would send out an adjuster to look over the car and asses the value and I may not get $7,500 for it. I had her check one more time to make sure my car wasn't special and she said no. I'm not going to call them back to tell them they don't know what they are doing, but when and if it ever comes time to get the full value of the car, I will fight them all the way. They have my vin #, they should know what kind of car I have.
As for allstate, I called for a rate because I have my home owners through them and they wanted twice as much as progressive for me on the '93 explorer, even with the home insurance on the same policy. What's up with that?

Originally posted by ez at nova
I've had Nationwide since I got my license at 16. I'm 25 now, married, clean record. For some reason I thought I'd check around for lower rates since my Nationwide hasn't dropped my rate since I bought my 02 WRX when I was 22. Progressive is coming in much cheaper, around $640/6 mos for my WRX and Liberty together vs $850 6/mos for those two cars with Nationwide. My Grand National is on a seperate policy, so it's not a factor here. Geico is in the middle at around $750. I will say this, Progressive's new website with its help/details/etc is EXTREMELY impressive...one of the best I've ever used as far as customer service and quality. Anyway, this Progressive rate seems pretty darn good... it factors out to around $350/6 mos for just my WRX (considering the multi-car discount) and that's with full coverage and 100/300k coverage. Also impressive was the fact that I added a 2005 C6 vette in the quote as a pleasure driving vehicle and it was only $70 a month more. This will likely be more like $60 a month when I'm 27/28 and ready to buy one. Not bad!

STAY AWAY FROM GIECO!!

They are the worst insurance company to deal with... ever.

had progressive commercial for a while - no complaints but never had to file a claim. We have had farmers forever and they give us the best rates around.

Vic

I use Progressive on the V-Rod and they were the cheapest at $260/yr full coverage. State Farm was another $100 on top of that. I was expecting Progressive to up the rate after the first year was over but they never did so I am impressed with the rates. I have never had a claim and cross my fingers I never do.

Regards
KS:cool:

Since you have other cars in your fleet you may want to consider collector insurance. I went through Grundys with a said value of $24K on my GN. There are restrictions though, I can only drive the car 3K miles a year; not a big deal to me since I've only put a little over 5K in the six years I've owned it. I have to have a daily driver for each licensed driver in the household. There is an age requirement of 25 (I think). The garage has to be locked when the car is in it. I can't race the car. I can't take the car on everyday errands.

Originally posted by littlesixsteve
That is because State farm are the GOOD hands people :D in your pocket for an extra $100-
Ya know, I THOUGHT I keep feelin' something down there everytime I pay the State Farm bills...

ks