Production #

SamBalkin

Hello all.

I have recently baught a 1987 Grand National. And I was wondering if there was a way to tell from the VIN number or any other part of the car what number my car is. I searched the forums and could not find the answer.

Thanks ahead.

Hi,
Since Buick built about 20000 Grand Nationals in 1987,they are far from rare.You can ID the motor to make sure it matches the VIN, but I am not aware of any services that tag our cars, at present.This will doubtless come, with time. Patience....

20,194 GNs were produced in 1987.

What is your production sequence number - the last 6 numbers of your VIN?

400000 = 1987 Regal #1.

465288 = 1987 Regal #65,288, which was a GN and was the last GN produced.

Good luck!

strike

I ordered my car in April of 1986 and told them to hold the order until they started producing '87's. The car arrived at the dealer August 14th or 15th. I had to wait almost a month :eek: for the dealer to get the MSO so he could do the paperwork. My sequence # is 403505. I Wish we could determine what was the First Turbo car made in '87. :cool:

I remember that the cut off date for ordering the current model year was the third week of May. I cant recall the lowest VIN sequence I've seen for a Regal but T-CHRGD is by far the lowest I've seen to date. I do know that GM did start at 0. I took delivery of the first black 85 MCSS in my area back in Sept of 84. The VIN sequence was 100048 which probally meant that this was the 48th MC built in 85 on the Arlington TX assembly line. I once saw a 80 LeSabre in the boneyard. Had a build date of 7/79 and the VIN sequence was 400012. Chevys usually start with the number 1 and Buick with number 4.

The last numbers are HP430209. Does that mean its a clone? I clearly looks like a Grand National, with GN interior, and a turbo V6. From what I understand you are telling me the VIN would mean its 30,209?. Im a little confused.

Under the wiper area is a cowl tag usually painted all black on a GN. ;)

Read the upper code off of it left hand side.

Should be something like H01A, G12C, etc.

What is yours? That should tell you the build date approx.

Sounds like yours is the 30,209th REGAL produced, not all were turbos or GN's.

I doubt yours is a clone. Sounds like a winter '86 car.

Dont forget that after May/87 only the GNs were being built. Remember the late builds were all GN's. No NA Regals built after May. You probally cant guess accuretely by the build date because of that.

IIRC only 1500 late build GN's were built.

Under the wiper area is a cowl tag usually painted all black on a GN. ;)

Read the upper code off of it left hand side.

Should be something like H01A, G12C, etc.

What is yours? That should tell you the build date approx.

Sounds like yours is the 30,209th REGAL produced, not all were turbos or GN's.

I doubt yours is a clone. Sounds like a winter '86 car.

I think the number is H2G3? Any information? Thanks.

H is an 87.

The next two digits should be numbers and would be the month built.

Next digit is a letter for the week.

A first week down to E for the fifth week in some months.

Yours should be H01*, or H02*

* for the week it was built.

01 for January, maybe 02 for Feb.

Mines in the 34K range and is a March end of the month car. H03E.