Problems

bigal915

My car has been acting up lately and i'm not sure what the problem is. It doesn't seem as responsive as normal and stutters when taking off, when driving and letting off the gas it sounds like its gonna die and has a few times, also sounds like its misfiring sometimes and doesn't shift properly. Smells like its running rich but no check engine light or codes.

New plug wires and newer plugs. i think 3k on those. Trans fluid is clean.

Im sure its several things just failing at once. Some insight would be helpful. Thanks

It sounds like it could be a dirty or failing maf sensor. I had a stock unit to go bad once and it acted as you just described. Is it the stock hot air unit?

i think it is the stock one. Could the coil pack be bad because of the missing?

Sounds like it is either getting too much fuel OR the spark is weak and not burning the fuel. So yes it is possible that it could be a coil problem. It sounds like it would be a perfect time for you to upgrade to the newer 86/87 coilpack/module and why you are at it upgrade to the 86/87 ecm and maf. ;)

The module and coil pack are from an 86/7 car. Looks like its a poston converter and adapter plate. If i do the 86/7 ecm and maf do i need a chip?

The module and coil pack are from an 86/7 car. Looks like its a poston converter and adapter plate. If i do the 86/7 ecm and maf do i need a chip?

The stock chip will work but if I remember right will throw a code due to our cars not having a stock iat sensor (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). I had turbotweak make me a chip and had the iat sensor programed out.

i have some harness that plugs in to a 3 bar map sensor, the tps sensor and an iat that i am adding. would it still throw the code?

so then with the 86/7 ecm will i be able to use the 86/7 maf or will i need to get a translator and a different maf? is the connector for the 84/5 and 86/7 maf the same?

so then with the 86/7 ecm will i be able to use the 86/7 maf or will i need to get a translator and a different maf? is the connector for the 84/5 and 86/7 maf the same?

With the newer ecm your 84/85 maf will no longer work. You will need to use the 86/87 maf or yes you can upgrade even further to the ls1 maf and translator.

check vacuum leaks as well, mine ran exactly like that and it was the o ring at the bottom of the turbo adapter, which is unusual but it happens.

Im sure its several things just failing at once. Some insight would be helpful. Thanks

If you have several things failing at once check the grounds to make sure it has a good contact. Especially if it is intermitent.

Sounds like a Vac leak, CHeck all your hoses, from MAP sensor, wastegate, TB, and the back of the turbo to the hardlines. Don't just look either, feel and listen. What if any engine codes are you throwing?

no codes. ill probably wait till its a little warmer before i start checking stuff. thanks for the help

i went out and looked yesterday and the only thing i found was a hole in the line that runs to the pcv and there was a yellowish line that ran over by the blower motor and the other ends just sitting there.i have no idea what that last ones for and cant seem to find the other end.

Would leaks or a bad maf have anything to do with the trans shift points being off? The fluids new and its only got 35k on it so i hope it doesnt need rebuilt already.

Would leaks or a bad maf have anything to do with the trans shift points being off? The fluids new and its only got 35k on it so i hope it doesnt need rebuilt already.

Fix the open vacuum lines. The transmission shift points are adjusted using the TV cable button. Do a search on TV cable adjustment. Post again if you can't find it. Brad

With the newer ecm your 84/85 maf will no longer work. You will need to use the 86/87 maf or yes you can upgrade even further to the ls1 maf and translator.
Sorry to disagree but I don't believe that's true. With the 87 ECM YOU WILL NEED A TT CHIP but your 85 MAF might work fine. I just completed this upgrade and did not upgrade the MAF and it runs great. Some guys report their cars run better with the 87 some say theirs runs better with the original HA MAF. See my post currently near the top called "down on power, detonation - need help" and you'll find where I got this information and since I have since then made my swap I can confirm the info to be correct.

If you have several things failing at once check the grounds to make sure it has a good contact. Especially if it is intermitent.

X2 Been there, done that.