problems with my rear end

$uckin6

are you hassling us man!
Hello all my Buick brethren, I have a 87 g/n with a ford 9" built by strange engineering,it's a full spool with strange axles, i recently found out that i have to adjust the back lash on it because every time i put the car in gear it clanks pretty hard. I put the car up on jacks and discovered that the drive shaft turns about a half revolution before it engages the gear and then clanks, is it difficult to adjust or is it something that can be accomplished by a half witted but willing participant(me) on a week end with proper tools, thanks guys.

I have that same CLUCK, but was told its my U-Joints. I don't have the ford 9'' tho. maybe its what your saying, but can't say for sure. Keep us posted;)

If you have to turn the driveshaft a half turn before the axle turns you have more than a gear backlash problem :eek:

I have that same CLUCK, but was told its my U-Joints. I don't have the ford 9'' tho. maybe its what your saying, but can't say for sure. Keep us posted;)

checked the u joints their fine, man i'm hoping it's all in adjusting the backlash and i wish i was exaggerating :mad:

built turbo 400 reverse valve body, trans break 4000 stall converter and a 4 inch aluminum drive shaft

Well, I hate to say this, but usually when I have a problem with my rear end...I go see a proctologist.:biggrin::p:biggrin::rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

come on fellas i didn't start this thread for a comedian casting call, though it was mildly entertaining, i really need to know if anyone has some experience or advice on adjusting the back lash on the ford 9" rear, if you don't have any advice on the matter, relegate your jokes to the turbo lounge section thanks.

1st......... don't drive it!

pull it apart, something is drasticly wrong to have that much play.
I think you'll find something broken, or WAY out of adj, if you've been running it that way very long, the gears will be no good.
pull it apart, take the third member to someone who has experience with ford 9 in stuff.
good luck

I guess you guys are right, i was kind of hoping that the backlash adjustment mite have been the cure for it and i haven't driven the car in a while, i was saving my peso$ for 94# injectors and taking it to get tuned, i guess i know where I'll be spending my $ at now, thanks guys

come on fellas i didn't start this thread for a comedian casting call, though it was mildly entertaining, i really need to know if anyone has some experience or advice on adjusting the back lash on the ford 9" rear, if you don't have any advice on the matter, relegate your jokes to the turbo lounge section thanks.

My GOD! I sure am sorry. I sure learned a valuable lesson. Appreciate being TOLD where to relegate my jokes. You take care, fella, ya hear?

Bruce '87 Grand National

My GOD! I sure am sorry. I sure learned a valuable lesson. Appreciate being TOLD where to relegate my jokes. You take care, fella, ya hear?

Bruce '87 Grand National

didn't mean to ruffle your feathers,please don't take it like that but i'm just beside myself on this matter, i'm sure you know what i mean as a fellow tb owner, take care.

didn't mean to ruffle your feathers,please don't take it like that but i'm just beside myself on this matter, i'm sure you know what i mean as a fellow tb owner, take care.

No problem, buddy. My feathers are OK. Yes, I do know what you mean as a fellow TB owner. Just trying to take the edge off of your problem for a little second, that's all. Thanks for your reply. Hope you got it fixed...I know it can be a bitch.:eek:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Are you sure you have a spool and not a a locker? I had a brand new 9inch with a detroit locker doin the same thing. i thought something was wrong but after contacting the manufacture i was told thats how they were supposed to be.

Same here had mine professionally built seal to seal everyting was new. Put it on a jack and saw maybe a quarter turn before it engaged. As stated above i was told by the guy who installed and the manufacter it is fine.

Are you sure you have a spool and not a a locker? I had a brand new 9inch with a detroit locker doin the same thing. i thought something was wrong but after contacting the manufacture i was told thats how they were supposed to be.

I live close to the guy i bought it from, i'm gonna drop by and see if i can get some more info on it, about it maybe being a locker, i sure would hope so but i'm still getting too much of a turn on the drive shaft before it engages, i remember the previous owner saying he ordered the rear end from strange and from day one it always had that clank, i just know if i take it to the local drag strip I'm going to end up going back home on a tow truck. thanks guys i really appreciate your advice and info, take care.

Same here had mine professionally built seal to seal everyting was new. Put it on a jack and saw maybe a quarter turn before it engaged. As stated above i was told by the guy who installed and the manufacter it is fine.

i sure hope so, you guys have instilled some hope that i wont have to dig deep in my pockets, thanks

Probably hitting the nail on the head here! Quick way to tell if you have a spool or locker is to try and do a tight turn. If you have a spool you will know it then, tires will squeal in protest! Locker will clunk as it disengages for a tight turn and then will clunk back in when going straight. Really scary the first time you experience it. Had a locker in my pro street Chevelle with a manual trans. No experience with one with an automatic but probably would clunk going into gear, not to mention most of our cars do that anyway.

Found this article for you. http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Detroit-Locker-automatic-lockers.htm