Problems w/ my rebuilt engine

TurBo BiRd

Strong Islander
I just got my 1989 GTA w/ an 87 Grand National engine after it being in the shop for a month. The block got line honed and all the bearings were replaced. I got the car like this so i dont really know how the idle and stuff was beforehand but now the idle is ****. It bounces from 800 to just above stallling and then once its warmed up, it doesnt wanna stay running at stops and stalls alot. I was wondering if this was normal w/ this engine until it gets broken in a little more or if the engine shp guy was bull****ting me b/c he couldnt figure out how to get a nice idle out of it. Please help me...I really want this car to run right.

Quick and dirty way without a scantool-(you need a digital vom) back the air bleed screw off until it doesn't make contact anymore. Go in 1.5 turns. set the tps (.38 to 4.5) You are 1 turn from where you want to be. (either way) Just reset the tps each time you move the air bleed screw more than a third turn. Disconnect the orange wire at the battery for a second, then reconnect so the computer learns the settings. Go into drive, hit brakes, into reverse, hit brakes a few times to speed up the process.

This should get you in the ball park until you get a scan tool.

Follow the link in the previous post to the tps seting procedure.

If it don't rain tonight come out to Sunrise Mall meet.(no more Bellmore) All the Buicks and TTA's park together. My plate # is "1TURBO T" We will take a look at it.

Hey where is that Mall ? Is that down by Massepequa? Hey turboBird is your car Red ? i think ive seen it at Bellmore.:cool:

Yes it's the Massapequa mall off Sunrise Hwy. The red Buick powered GTA is Steve's (TTA850) We usually park next to each other since we both travel in from Brooklyn.

Alright

Ill make a trip out to massapequa tonight. My GTA is maroon. I haven't had the chance to bring it out to bellmore yet b/c the guy i bought it from didnt tell me the engine was shot so i have had nothing but problems w/ this car. Thanks alot for your help. Hopefully it doesnt rain tonight. See you tonight.

Thanks

Thanks alot for your help tonight guys. I really appreciate it. I learned alot. Ill see you again next time I go over there on a friday night.

It was great meeting you,and galoush too :D I wish I could have been of more help but got cought up with other things

Hopefully next time we can get together a bit earlier,I'd love to get some pics of our cars together.

Anyway,hope to see you again soon,me and Ed try to make it out there every Fri as long as the weather is good

Later,
Steve