Problems Terrible Track Times!!!!!!!

grandnati0nal

Ok i have some definate problems with my car but i am not worried since i am rebuilding the motor this winter. Anyways if you care to guess what the problem is go ahead. Here are the symptoms:

1. 14.9 @ 87.58mph 2.088 60' This is the biggest symptom.
2. very rough idle.
3. studder when going from an idle.
4. 205 temps for the coolant.
5. did i mention a VERY rough idle.

Scanmaster readings are normal says a friend that has a GN. All of the sensors like the TPS and IAC are in order. I think it is a wiped lobe or two on the cam. I am open to any ideas on this. The heads and intake will be pulled this weekend and maybe the cam because i want to see if that is the problem. Lets hear some of your conclutions.

I should probably mention that this is a bone stock car that has the cat removed and a K&N drop in. This is also a 55,000 mile car which sat for 10 years unstarted too. Valvesprings could also be the problem. and the rear i think is going out because everytime i would launch the car would grip and lift the front end up(not the wheels) and something would POP then the front would drop and the car would catch traction again and then another pop. Would that be the posi? I think some teeth are being shaved off of it:D

Well ill have to get back to you on that one but when my buddy drove it all of the scanmaster readings were ok he said.

Don't tear into that motor yet, you just may have minor issues like fuel,bad plugs,wires bla,bla,bla. where in IL are you? give me a buzz 630-965-1987 maybe we can go through few things.

Prasad

well ill give ya a call but i was going to go through it anyways because the intake was off of it at one time anyways.

I know im switching to a LT-1 MAF and a T+ setup. I also got an XP pump from onefastGN. I dont know which injectors to go to tho. I was contemplating MSD 50s or 009s and making them work for me.

Originally posted by grandnati0nal
I know im switching to a LT-1 MAF and a T+ setup. I also got an XP pump from onefastGN. I dont know which injectors to go to tho. I was contemplating MSD 50s or 009s and making them work for me.

Go with the 50's. 009's are notorious for tip in stumble. This can be corrected in the chip burning, but why not get 50's and have more fuel available. Actually why not go with the high z 60's.

Get 4 or 5 gallons of good fuel (100 unleaded) so the computer will not be pulling timing out and destroying performance. You will probably gain .5 and 5-6 mph.

As far as the idle, look for a vacuum leak. Possibly a hard or cracked vacuum hose, a hose that has blown off under boost, or the base gasket for the egr valve. Good luck.

I would say don't go pulling stuff apart so quick. If the car sat for years then there are probably plenty of little issues like others mentioned. When was the fuel filter changed last? Sounds like a complete spring cleaning is in order. Then I would change ALL vacuum lines. Don't forget to look for any vermin damage too.