problem...

TurboGN86

ok guys i am trying to narrow down what really is wrong with my 87' WE4. i just had to replace the head gaskets about a month ago then decided it would be best to get it tuned. turns out i blew a head gasket because i was running about 35#'s of boost due to vacuume leakes and a faulty/wrong wastegate somone had on the car when i bought it. after i got it roughly tuned. holidays cut the tuning short (tuning was done by a local TR guy here with more experience then I) but the car during the tuning process started to basicly hit redline between 1st and 2nd gear and then slams into 2nd and shifts fine. but only when u really get on it.

now thats the problem now my question is i have been told (i havent actually had time to look since this is my daily driver to work and back) that the heads may be lifting under full throttle pulls. i torqued the heads down to only 60-65#'s i believe is what the paper i printed from here said.

my set up is a TE-44, 60# injectors (injectors put in after the tune), precision stretch stock mount intercooler, TT chip, 3" single shot exhaust, poston 3" down pipe, poston headers & crossover. the tranny looks new and so does the torque converter... let me rephrase that, the paint looks new on these items.

and lastly the car when trying to hold a steady MPH at certain speeds it shakes like it going in and outta over drive... the scanmaster tac shows a 25 rpm drop/gain when doing this. i think its only 25.

any help is always appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeremy

No personal experience with this but from reading post, the problem might be a bad torque converter lock up switch or the governor spring in your transmission has fallen out.

If you used ARP lube then 60-65# should be fine on the heads. I would check the adjustment of the TV cable. if that's not it then it sounds to me like you either have a trans prob or you're just overpowering it. (which IMO is a trans problem.) let us know what happens.

yes both of those are trans problems... lol but i am gonna get it looked at b4 i get my spare tranny built. i used just reg 10w 30 motor oil to lube them. kina old school i kno but this was my first job on my own. i have had supervision with my 86 rebuilding the motor but it never quite ran right. the guy helping me build it was good with a v8 but we did the timing gear wrong or somthing i was later told. but should i just retorque the heads down? as for the tranny i will let yall kno what i find out. i do think that stuff about the overdrive spring or somthing sounds like a possibility.

Thanks guys let me kno if u think of anything else.

Jeremy

If the car shifts fine during normal driving... Its not the gov spring and ball fallen out.

You are probably running low boost, so it takes awhile for first gear to run out.

shake of 1/4 of 100 rpm, you kidding me right?

If its dropping in and out of overdrive and 3rd gear its more like 1000 rpm or more depending on convertor.

Tell you what. :)

What would make you think its lifting the heads, because its pushing coolant in the overflow?

You need some help man, sounds like you have had some bad advise...

BW

as i stated b4 i have kno clue about transmissions. as for the heads lifting the guy tuning it for me said after each run he did at full throttle it has coolants and oil reside on the block under the heads.

I would pull the valve covers and torque them down to 75lbs or so, even the arp bolts with moly lube I torque down to 72lbs.
The tranny/converter sounds like it as issues, I learned the hard way best to take the car to a shop that specializes in these cars for tranny/converter work.

Chuck

ok thats one answer i was lookin for was a torque spec to go by. as for the tranny im gonna take it to somone and get it looked at, more then likely i will get my spare tranny built cause who knows what this trans has been through b4 i bought the car.

call 516 285-1103 the best there is for 200r4s over 16 years of experience his name is dave,say nick told you.