Problem!!!

txregal

Guy,

Here is my issue. 1987 T. 63,000 miles. Stock except for hooker cat back. T63 E turbo and 60 pounders with adj fuel reg and chip. I cant remember the type of chip right now.

The issue only occurs during hot days when I am in stop and go traffic. the issue is that the car will just die. I have to wait about 5 min and it will start again. The car never does this when I am on the highway driving non stop. just hot days in stop and go traffic.

Your thoughts???

Do you have a datalogger and possibly log it when it dies?

Could be CCCI module or coilpack... getting hot and malfunctioning.... that would be my first bet...

A datalog might point you in the right direction if you have a datalogger....

No datalogger!!! Something is getting hot and then cooling off so the car could start. Thanks for input!!

i am with blazer sounds like the module and or coil pack has a hairline crack and is expanding under extreme heat and is shorting out.

I know where the coil pack is. Where is this module located and what is the correct name?

The Ignition (CCCI) Module is what the coil pack bolts to.... and, agreed, the module is the component most likely causing the symptoms you describe... common/typical issue with these cars...

Had the same problem a while back. Looked like the glue inside the ignition module was melted. Took it to a parts place that tested it. Tested fine. Kept chasing my tail on other stuff, then I read on here to have them test 3 or 4 times in a row to get it hot, thats when it would fail. Replaced it and the problem went away.