Problem with PTS Trans

Jürgen2

Oversea Member
Hey anyone, I hope you can help me. I have a PTS 2004r, built in 2004. I bought it used, 10 years ago. It only has 10000mls on it, so everything should ne fine. Due to my restoration I opened the pan and noticed, there was no 4th gear pressure switch in there. I wanted to add one, but I couldn't get the bolt out that was put in the hole for the switch, so I opened the valve body and two check balls came out. My manual says there should be three check balls. I think one is missing due to some PTS modification. But I don't know where the two balls belong now. Can you help my with this? Thank you very much.
Greetings from Germany.
J.

does it have a brake?

Attachments

• transbrake4.jpg
    transbrake4.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 103
I didn't call Bruce yet. It's more easy to write in english than to speak for me. I live in Germany.
Well depending on you trans brake file, the check ball for the 1-2 shift might ne the one that's missing.

Middle check ball (1-2) is preference according to the builders I've talked to. Converter selection influences the decision (loose converters don't make the 1-2 seem harsh without the ball)

That´s the next question I have.
The converter I have is marked with D5, but the guy I got the trans from told me it´s a 2800 stall.
Trans goes into a 72 chevelle with 383cui, 2004r and 3.73 rear ratio.
Engine has only 318 hp, but 472 foot pound from 2000 to 2500rpm.
I think I should get a new one before I put the trans back in again. Any recommendations on brands or manufacturers?

Thanks

Not sure what your build is but if you want a converter I would suggest getting a hold of Dusty Bradford or David Husek on this board. Either of them can hook you up with a converter matched to your build or can even tell you if you even need one based on what you have.